where's the love ??

George Curtis

TVWBB Olympian
i noticed that there is no love for the go-anywhere's. no real discussions or nothing.
no one have them or use them ? just sayin !
icon_rolleyes.gif

By the time I discovered them, I already had 2 SJ's.
icon_wink.gif
So I know nothing about them.

What's good about them George?

don't know. haven't tried mine yet. they sure are a lot lighter than the q's. but if you can get one cheap enough i think they will do just fine. i got the gasser and do need it for some quick grilling at a disabilities peer group meeting. we like to eat. there are no gas sj's that i know of. german sites show guy's using bothe gas and coal ones and turning out some great eats. plus they are webers and would imagine that folks would at least have one of each.

I have the gas version and it is ok...not bad, but not great either. I mainly like it for the portability and the ignitor.

Negatives:
- My biggest complaint is the uneveness of the heating across the grill. It is very hot on the end farthest from the regulator and goes cooler back to the regulator end.
- Flare ups on the flavorizer shield
- uses a small metal clip to keep the regulator attached to the burner pipe. I would prefer a threaded connection due to possible loss of the clip (which happened).

Positive notes:
- It is consistent in the hot and cold spots
- Well built and easy to clean. Typical Weber product that looks good and stays rust free
- Compact design that packs easily into car
- Ignitor works every time...no problems in 6+ years of light to moderate use

Overall, I like it and enjoy using it. It has been very reliable for many picnics and tailgates.

No love here for the Go Anywhere, unless you mean the ones I got wood handles off of!

If I see them on craigslist free or cheap and they are in my retrieval range (way home from work mode) I might snag it for the handles or parts.
The burner tube and regulator are things I've seen folks use as offset firebox starters and hot water heater mods on comp trailers.

I want one. I have had my eye out for a charcoal one in good conditiong for cheap. I like the way they fold up too.

I love my charcoal one. I use it when I'm away in my caravan.
I'm bidding on a wood handled version on ebay at the moment.

i understand they aren't the best but they do have their place. just surprised by way they are "forgotten". yep, next is a charcoal one.

I like the design of the go anywhere. I just don't go anywhere, and with the new Q100s and SJS/SJG they are a niche product.

Jay

i got a q220 but its not exactly "portable". a bit heavy. i've been lookin for a q100 or q120 but so far they are to much $$$$$$. the ga is easily hauled around.

I agree about the money, and the kettles just cook so doggone well. Its hard to imagine the GAs doing a better job. BUT being a gas stove could have its advantages.
j

I've had one for so long, I can't remember when I got it. Converted it to use a 5 Lb. tank and it came in handy when we needed a quick 'dog or sausage. Kids were in junior high and went for hot lunch and they were serving 'hot dogs' Boiled not grilled. The youngest one argued with the cooks that 'those weren't hot dogs, there isn't any char on them!'. Much easier to fire the gas than charcoal for a few dogs. Gone through three flavorizer plates, two ignitors, and two grills. Quality was so good, though, that it made me reconsider gas grills and now have a 3 burner stainless weber in back. Biggest problem was they wouldn't light below -45 degrees so I moved to Alabama! (not really why I moved, but they don't light below -45 where charcoal will). They are the best small gas grill I have used or seen being used. Love the one touch more though. Hasn't been used since the move, and this post made me pull it out and fire it up just to see it burn again. I prefer it to the smokey joe for small quick jobs, but instead of cooking small loads, I load up the big grills so there are left-overs for lunch.

The Go anywhere charcoal was my first Weber last year. Solid construction and shape, but I could never get it to burn that well. The vents are in a bad location and adjusting them wasnt fun. They seemed to bind, and the legs just weren't that sturdy to adjust them. I got a smokey joe soon after and it is much better. I just wish the thing had a handle to keep the lid in place.

I kept the go anywhere. I think I want to make it into a cold smoker box attachment.

Back