Beginner's Guide?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob Porter

TVWBB Member
So I took the plunge last month and purchased a WSM. Have been having a blast and things have turned out well generally.

Still need a grill though. We have a six-year old Char-Broil QuickSet. The igniter went a few years ago. The burner now only lights on one side. There's rust. Blah blah blah.

I went to HD today to purchase replacement parts. I figured I would refurbish this thing. So I have the cart full thinking $75 to re-build a crappy grill seems expensive, particularly since I am not very handy. Nevertheless . . .

I just happened to look on the other side of the aisle. There up high was a OTG 22.5 assembled. I looked; there were none for sale. I asked and after some haggling, ended up getting the assembled one for 10% off.

Now I am trying to find out how to grill with charcoal. Is there a tutorial somewhere? My searching hasn't produced such a thing.

How should I begin? Do I need to season it?

Consider me a complete newbie to world of grilling.

I appreciate the help.

Good choice Bob! Hopefully, they included the owner's manual for the grill. If not you can download a copy off of Weber's web site. Mostly, you are "indirect" cooking on the grill, which means the lit charcoal is divided and pushed to opposite sides of the grill. The food is then put in the middle and not directly over the coals.

Weber also has some great grilling cook books which are available from Amazon.com and most book stores.

Hi Bob, and welcome to the forums!

Charcoal grilling/barbecuing is relatively easy to start doing. I would recommend buying a charcoal chimney to light your coals, and stay away from charcoal starter fluid. Also, try a "dual zone" to start with - in other words, build your fire on one side of your OTG, so you have a hot zone over the coals, and a "cooler" zone away from the coals. That way, if something looks like it's cooking too fast on the outside, you can move it away from being directly over the coals.

There should have been a basic instruction manual with the OTG regarding direct vs. indirect cooking with a charcoal barbecue. You can also go to the Weber site http://www.weber.com/ and look at their recipe section for ideas. If you didn't get the owner's manual, Weber will be happy to send one - you might even be able to download it from their web site.

There will be many more people contacting you to help you out on this web site. You will become successful with charcoal in no time at all!

Good luck, and have fun with your new OTG!

Thanks for the tips.

The manual was indeed included. I see there are a couple of Weber's books in our local library system.

I have a chimney already.

This site has been wonderful for taking a beginner through what he needs to do while smoking. I am hopeful there is a similarly helpful site that leads the novice to get going with the kettle. Something like a sure-fire way of cooking xxxxxxxx and enjoy it.
icon_smile.gif

Bob "Weber's Big Book of Grilling" explains everything that you need to know to grill great food. See if your library has it, or you can pick it up at most book stores.

get steven raichlins "how to grill". ebay is a good source. very good info. then practice, practice. i do much of my cooks indirect with my coals dumped on one side. then start reading here about q'en on the kettles. easy.

Bob
Most of us are so used to using a kettle to do all types/styles of cooking we take a lot of knowledge for granted and think that everyone knows: how to set up: how much charcoal/briquettes, what vent settings, where to put the fuel how to light the fuel, when to start cooking, how long to cook various cuts, what rub to use, lid on or off - etc.
Do you have a PCI (porcelein coated cast iron)grill rack. if so it doesnt need seasoning, however heat it up for 10 minutes and then take it off, wipe it with some paper towel soaked in a bit of vegetable oil and let it cool in a dry place. Whilst it doesn't need seasoning it doesn't hurt to do it.
If you put together a list of questions in bullet point I will attempt to answer your concerns
Steve Raiclen's book "How to Grill' is a good starting point as is "Weber's Big Book of Grilling"
Regards

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Phil Hartcher:
Do you have a PCI (porcelein coated cast iron)grill rack. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>No, I do not. I have the plated steel rack that came with it. It is hinged on both sides.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Phil Hartcher:
If you put together a list of questions in bullet point I will attempt to answer your concerns </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I appreciate that. I am going to pick up a couple books today. I am certain I will have more specific questions then. I was hopeful that someone might be able to point to a fullproof method of cooking burgers, steaks, something to get started for the beginner.

I appreciate the help everyone is sharing. Thanks.

Don't forget Weber's Charcoal Grilling (the Art of Cooking Over Live Fire) cookbook. The first chapter is several hints, tips, and techniques for charcoal setup, and general cooking.

Bob
The plated steel grill rack needs no seasoning.

You need a good grill brush to clean it thats all. I use the weber triangular shaped brush as it has hard thick brass bristles and there is a gap between each wrap that allows me to do the sides of each wire.

I look forward to your Qs

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back