She's got legs...

Hey Mike, glad to have you on the board!

My only complaint about my kettles is with the legs. Has there ever been any thought to using like a cotter pin system to keep the legs in place? I have three kettles, my dad has 5, and both of us have two that the legs don't want to stay in. One of mine, the legs are solid as a rock, so I don't what the difference. I had thought about drilling holes through the leg connector parts on the kettle itself, but I'm afraid of the ceramic coming off. any thoughts?

Mike

Weber has had a few ways of keeping the legs on. I think in the early 70s they had thumbscrews.

From what I've found, I've found the same as you. Some stay, some don't. I surveyed as many people as I could at Memphis in May the last coule of years. A lot of the teams would have a kettle that they'd take about each weekend. Some never took them off, some always fell off, others they couldn't yank off.

A week or two ago I did a mod for a friend of mine in the city. It looks like that dimple creased the tube and it'd always fall out. We Dremeled the dimples off. Being the artist that he is, somewhere he came up with these thin sleeves he slipped over the tubes. The result was a tube of an outer diameter nearly identical to the inner diameter of the leg fitting. It's a standard "right out of Machinery Handbook" slip fit, but snug enough that they don't fall out. With the legs at opposing angles, they naturally stay in.

-Mike

18 1/2" Classic Bullet

Back