STOK CI great not so great...

So I have had this thing about 8 months now. I really like the fact the charcoal chimney fits inside the insert hole. But when I cleaned out my grill yesterday after the ash catcher locked up on me. I found rust.

DSC00458.jpg

This thing is porcelain coated but apparently it is not that great. Oh well at least it was not expensive. Does anyone else have this problem with theirs?

It must have gotten damp. My Craycorts get rust on them too. Mainly on the bottom. You will have to clean and reseason it. I use a metal scrubber and a lot of oil on a low flame.

Wow, sorry to hear that Brian. I've only had mine for about 3 months so far so I guess only time will tell. I guess I'll have to be careful of chipping the porcelain while cleaning.

Thanks for the heads up, I hope a re-season is able to get them back into shape.

did you chip off the porcelain?

the porcelain coating (if any) seems really thin on mine

i haven't used anything abut a wire brush, and even then i use it lightly.

They look like raw CI to me. But its ofc hard to tell from a pic. If its coated i guess its really thin and there fore not even needed. From here and now if i were you i would seasson them with a thin layer of oil...Every cook for bout 1 month(depends on how mutch u use it...But lets say 10 grilling sessions) And rotate the grate every cook.

Then they will be rust free..If added some oil every 5 cooks.(yeat again depens on how often its used)

Back