SWEET-AND-SMOKY BABY BACK RIBS WITH BOURBON BARBECUE SAUCE

Keri C

TVWBB Wizard
Here's a rib recipe I've used a few times, except that I modified it a bit to use on the WSM. It's a Steve Raichlen recipe - not too bad at all.

@@@@@

SWEET-AND-SMOKY BABY BACK RIBS WITH BOURBON BARBECUE SAUCE

To make these slow-cooked ribs, the barbecue is used like a smoker. The instructions given here are for a standard 22 1/2-inch Weber kettle barbecue. Grilling times and vent adjustments will vary with different brands of barbecues, and it may be necessary to cut the rib racks into four- or five-rib portions so that they'll all fit on the grill. The only special equipment needed is a charcoal chimney, which is available at most home and garden stores and hardware stores.

6 baby back pork rib racks
1 cup bourbon
3 tablespoons coarse salt
3 tablespoons (packed) dark brown sugar
3 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons ground black pepper
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 cups hickory wood chips
2 cups beer
Bourbon Barbecue Sauce (see recipe below)

Arrange ribs in large roasting pan. Pour bourbon over. Chill 30 minutes, turning ribs often. Pour off and discard bourbon.

Whisk salt and next 5 ingredients in medium bowl. Sprinkle spice mixture on both sides of ribs. Let stand 1 hour.

Place wood chips in medium bowl. Pour beer over; let stand 1 hour. Place handful of torn newspaper in bottom of charcoal chimney. Top newspaper with 25 charcoal briquettes. Remove upper rack from barbecue. Place chimney on lower grill rack. Light newspaper and let charcoal burn until ash is gray, about 30 minutes.

Open 1 bottom grill vent. Turn out hot charcoal onto 1 side of lower rack. Using metal spatula, spread charcoal to cover approximately 1/3 of rack. Remove 1 cup wood chips from beer and drain (keep remaining chips in beer). Scatter drained chips over coals (avoid using too many wet chips, which may douse the fire). Fill foil loaf pan halfway with water and place opposite the coals on lower grill rack.

Place upper grill rack on barbecue. Arrange ribs on upper grill rack above loaf pan. Cover barbecue with lid, positioning top vent directly over ribs. Place stem of candy thermometer through top vent, with gauge on outside and tip near ribs (thermometer should not touch meat or grill rack); leave in place during cooking. Check temperature after 5 minutes. Use top and bottom vents to maintain temperature between 275*F and 325*F, opening vents wider to increase heat and closing to decrease heat. Leave any other vents closed.

After 45 minutes, use technique described earlier to light an additional 15 charcoal briquettes in same charcoal chimney set atop nonflammable surface.

When temperature of barbecue falls below 275*F, use oven mitts to lift off upper rack with ribs; place rack with ribs on heatproof surface. Using tongs, add hot gray charcoal from chimney to bottom rack. Drain remaining 1 cup wood chips; sprinkle over charcoal. Reposition upper rack on barbecue, placing ribs above loaf pan. Cover with lid. Grill until ribs are very tender and meat pulls away from bones, about 45 minutes longer, brushing with 3/4 cup Bourbon Barbecue Sauce the last 15 minutes of cooking.

Transfer ribs to platter. Brush with 3/4 cup more barbecue sauce. Serve, passing remaining sauce separately, if desired.

Makes 6 servings.

Bon Appetit
July 2000
Steve Raichlen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

BOURBON BARBECUE SAUCE

2 cups ketchup
1/2 cup mild-flavored (light) molasses
1/3 cup bourbon
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
3 tablespoons hot pepper sauce
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder

Combine all ingredients in heavy large saucepan. Bring to boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer uncovered until sauce thickens and flavors blend, stirring frequently, about 15 minutes. (Can be made 1 week ahead. Cover; chill.)

Makes about 2 1/2 cups.

Bon Appetit
July 2000
Steve Raichlen

Well, this was just the hugest hit at my house today! The sauce is wonderful, and I have plenty left over even making six racks of ribs.

Despite some temp. problems today (I let my husband light the WSM), everything turned out A-OK, and with a little help my friend Kevin, I was able to get my temp. up to where it should have been.

This recipe is highly recommended. Made Dougy-D's cole slaw, and even my neighbor raved. Gonna give a rack to my client tomorrow for a gift. Thanks Keri.

made these last night
2 racks of beef.
4 racks of pork.
I foiled one rack of each. it was not needed for the pork ribs it made the meat fall of the bones too much, but it did help the tough beef ribs. The only thing was the original recipe did not yield enough rub so i would probably double the rub. but thats just my tastes.
thanks for the recipe. also next time i will probably use a good canadian whiskey instead of the bourban. but once again thats just me

Mmmmm, this one sounds good for those that like to smoke their ribs, (the Raichlen recipe).

Back