In praise of the Forschner slicing knife

Eli

TVWBB Member
I had received an expensive German carving knife as a wedding gift but found that it totally sucked at making thin slices. I decided to try out the Forschner since it gets such great reviews from Cook's Illustrated (and it only costs $20). Gave it a whirl last night on tri-tip and was blown away -- the knife is so sharp and so thin that you can really cut paper thin slices. Did I mention that it only costs $20. The full-name is "R H Forschner 10-inch Round Tip Slicing Knife, Black Fibrox Handle"

That's good to know, I ordered the same one yesterday! Of course it won't be here until after my July 4th brisket is all consumed, but next time I'll be ready. A lot of good comments about that knife-I've never read a bad review.

Eli, where did you buy that knife for 20? I looking to buy some knives. I found it on Amazon for 23 plus change and shipping. But, free shipping on $25 or more?

I've never seen the knife for $20 personally, but when I ordered from Amazon (using this site as the 'doorway' as always), I selected the small fibrox handled paring knife from Forschner for a little over $3 also. Then the shipping was free and I'm getting another useful tool.

I have 2 Forschner knives, both with the Fibrox handle. A 12" Granton Edge Cimeter and a 14" Granton Edge Slicing Knife. I love both knives. The 14" ia awsome for brisket and hams. The Cimeter is nice for cutting hard items like squash, cantelope, water melon and the basketball sized heads of cabbage I get for making kraut. I bought mine at cutlery and more. Congrats on the knife purchase.
icon_cool.gif

StirPlate007.jpg

'Bout to order up a couple knives right now. Thanks to everyone on this site for pointing me toward Forschner. Keep it coming, I'm a sponge.

and the 8 inch chef's knife is indeed under $20 right now. i feel an amazon bbq binge coming in the next week to take advantage of my last days of prime.

Oops, if I would've just gone back and reread the original post, I'd have seen that 10" was the knife in question.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mosef:
Oops, if I would've just gone back and reread the original post, I'd have seen that 10" was the knife in question. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Mosef, If your going to get a slicer, get at least the 12", or better yet the 14" (huge wait for that one on Amazon though 3-5 weeks). The extra length does come in handy for slicing large items.
icon_wink.gif

Adding some here. There's nothing worse than trying to slice something and not having enough knife. IMO
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mosef:
Oops, if I would've just gone back and reread the original post, I'd have seen that 10" was the knife in question. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Mosef, If your going to get a slicer, get at least the 12", or better yet the 14" (huge wait for that one on Amazon though 3-5 weeks). The extra length does come in handy for slicing large items.
icon_wink.gif

Adding some here. There's nothing worse than trying to slice something and not having enough knife. IMO
icon_wink.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bryan, Do you have a link to the 14" knife you are referring to?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by r benash:
Bryan - Forchners keep an edge well I assume? Have you had to do any sharpening? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Very well for a stamped blade. I sharpend it one time.
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by A.D.Letson:
Slicer </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
"Bryan, Do you have a link to the 14" knife you are referring to?"

Pat, The link A.D posted is the knife and where I bought mine. Fast shipping from them, and nice to deal with.

Read the reviews and ordered a 12" carving knife from Cutlery and More-- First use, 14# of pork butt cut up to grind for Alton Brown's Breakfast Sausage recipe. Boy! does it cut nice!!!!

Just got my knives in a few weeks ago love all three of them got the 2 Bryan S recommended along with a 10in French knife. Thanks again for the heads up.

Back