Smokey Joe Mini-Smokelator

Pat Smith

TVWBB Wizard
Inspired by the posts showing an indirect smoker set up on the Smokey Joe, and boosted by my fondness for my Smokey Joe Mini Smoker, I decided to take a shot at the "smokelator" type mod shown on the forum here:

SJS Smokenator

Here is a shot of a couple of LARGE chicken breasts smoking on the Smokey Joe. They were marinated in Dale's seasoning (almost a brine, really) for about half an hour, then dusted with the Slab's chicken and rib rub, then onto the Smokey Joe smoker at about 300 degrees for about 45 minutes. Duraflame briquettes, a lump of pecan and a lump of apple.

After that, I cut some Sweet Baby Ray's sauce with some vinegar and dipped the breasts in the sauce and put them back on the smoker for another 15 minutes. The boneless skinless were at 165* when they came off.

OK, I'm hyper-critical of my BBQ, but these two big, Dolly Parton sized chicken breasts were as good as I have ever cooked - or eaten. Moist and tender, sweet and smoky flavor.

47b29dd1.jpg
One was for lunch on Saturday and one for lunch on Tuesday.

I'll definitely be doing this set up again! I'll think I'll try thighs next time!

Pat

Howdy hi Pat,

Like Brian's posting, I didn't see your posting 'til recently.

I'm glad to see others smoking with Smokey Joe! I don't believe I've posted a meatloaf smoke done on SJS yet. However, smoking meatloaf was the original inspiration I had for trying to see if I could use Smokey Joe as a smoker. Smokey Joe does a good job with meatloaf (properly sized & shaped) and all the other meats I've tried. So, don't limit yourself to just chicken. But, it does a very good job with chicken as you have shown!

###

Back