Mary's Cherry Rub Clone

Thanks Bryan,Had not seen that before.
I think my clone is about ready, the only reason I wanted to clone it is I think Mary's has gone out of business, her web site is shut down and a lot of the web dealers are out of stock although I just ordered 3 bottles from Hawgeyes.

By the way, my second son is also Bryan S. and I'm sure neither of you are rock musicians, or are you--is your last name Setzer???!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ben Setzer: I think Mary's has gone out of business, her web site is shut down

By the way, my second son is also Bryan S. and I'm sure neither of you are rock musicians, or are you--is your last name Setzer???!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That would be a BIG BUMMER if she went out of business,
icon_frown.gif
I love that rub on ribs. No I'm not Bryan S from the Stray Cats.
icon_biggrin.gif

Here is what I've come up with so far. Let me kow what you think.

2 Tbs Turbinado sugar w/3 drops liquid smoke
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
3/4 tsp Ancho pepper powder
1/4 tsp Cherry Jello mix

I run it thru the spice grinder to make the sugar and salt finer.

Let me know what you think.

Ben

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave L.:
I wonder if Trader Joes has Dried Cherries? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
TJ's has dried everything. I would have to say they would have the cherries. Went to my local grocery store this morning and they have Dried Cherries, Aurora brand, $7.99 for a 10 oz container.

TJ's does carry dried cherries, often two kinds, bing and Montmorency (sour); get the sour for best flavor if planning on cooking with them.

Don't miss their dried mango (they have plain and chile-coated, usually), pineapple and peaches or nectarines.

Kevin, I picked up dried mango last year and still haven't used it. What should I do with it? Would the Montmorency cherries work for a rub?

I make very few Q sauces without a significant fruit component. I use fresh and/or dried and mango makes its way into many. I also use mango in chili and with other fruit in things like smoked-braised chuck (with dried rambutan and mangosteen, both from TJ's).

To use dried fruit in a rub you have to dry further so that the fruit can be ground successfully. (This isn't necessary for freeze-dried fruit of course.) The flavor can be somewhat to quite subtle, depending on the fruit.

For much more intense flavor--as far as rubs go--you pretty much have to go with artificial fruit flavor. With the possible exception of 'butter flavor' used in margarines and popcorns flavoring, I can't think of a flavor I like less than nearly any phony fruit flavor. You can try drying cherries further then grinding them up and using them as a major rub component and see what you think. Naturally flavored hard candy is another route that works and they grind easily (they pretty much take the place of the sugar in the rub too). If artificial flavor isn't an issue for you, Kool-aid or Jello can work.

What I mostly do is make complementary rubs without specific fruit flavors, adding the fruit via juice(s) during the foiling stage and/orby use of a glaze (ideas here; procedures a few posts below). Juices in the foil can add fruit flavors to the meat and rub, glazes add flavor to the rub/surface but, applied thinly, do not detract from the surface texture or appearance as saucing ribs does, imo. (A thin glaze adds shine and flavor but the texture of the rub and meat's surface is undiminished--of much importance to me. Notwithstanding its popularity, I dislike sauced ribs because it masks the surface texture of the meat and rub. Caramelized sauce, however flavorful, is not a texture I seek on my ribs. If this is not an issue, another option would be finishing with a flavorful cherry Q sauce. Alternatively, of course, you could serve sauce in the side. Another option would be to make a gastrique, a thin yet somewhat syrupy sauce made, usually, from wine and/or vineagar, sugar and, often fruit or fruit juice. An exanple, the second recipe down, is here.)

Back