Smoked Deviled Eggs

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
This is a summary of a recipe for smoked deviled eggs that appeared in the Spring 2003 issue of "The BBQer" magazine.

The article featured Reg Pelletier preparing a variety of cold smoked appetizers, one of which was deviled eggs.

-------------

Prepare and peel a dozen hard boiled eggs. Roll only two eggs in your favorite barbecue rub. Cold smoke all dozen eggs at 70-90*F for two hours.

Cut the 10 unrubbed eggs in half lengthwise and remove the yolks to a mixing bowl. Chop the two rubbed eggs and add to the 10 yolks. Mix in mayo to the desired consistency, and sprinkle in some additional rub, to taste--or wait to sprinkle rub onto the finished eggs.

Spoon or pipe the egg mixture back into the egg halves. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

Hey Chris,

How do you cold smoke at 90 deg or so? The egg recipe sounds great.

Anything else this cold smoke technique would work on?

Thanks,
Pork Eat World
Sonny

I'm not Chris, but I'll tell you how I maintain 80 - 90 degrees in the smoke for 3 to 4 hours at a time. I've not done deviled eggs, but we do quite a bit of cheese.

I've made a tiny miniature charcoal basket out of expanded metal, that holds 3 (three) charcoal briquettes. I fire those briquettes up, then put a small handful of wood chips over those 3 briquettes. Close the bottom vents most of the way. Cold water in the pan, with ice. This is preferably done at night, in as cool a temperature as possible. I usually have cheese on both racks, and like to have a piece of foil or wax paper underneath the cheese blocks.

Doing it this way, I've been able to maintain 80 - 90 degrees at the lid for up to four hours, with good smoke. Amazing how long those three little briquettes last... you do have to add more chips occasionally, though, to keep the smoke going.

BTW, before we made the tiny charcoal basket, I just fired up 3 briquettes and laid them against each other on the fire grate, then dropped the small handfuls of chips right on top. The chips are easier to control with the little basket, though.

Keri C
Smokin on Tulsa Time

I've smoked cheese from time to time, both on my old ECB and on my WSM. I do something similar to Keri's method. I usually do it after I've Q'd . I let the coals die down a bit, add a chunk of wood or two (I like using a mild fruit wood- peach, plum, or apple). I let the wood catch and smoke, and wait for the smoke to become light and sweet smelling. I then add the water pan filled w/ice, and put the cheese on the top grill on top of a cake pan filled with ice and foiled. I turn the cheese chunks 90* every 15-20 minutes, so each side can absorb smoke. The cheese holds its shape, and picks up a nice smoke flavor. The cheese will ooze some fat, which I wipe off with a paper towel when it's done. This usually takes 1-1 1/2 hours. The end result is wonderful!
My favorite cheeses to smoke are swiss, white cheddar, gouda, and havarti. Havarti was one of the first cheeses I smoked. It's very, very good.

Jim

Back