Leftover roasted pepper juices - ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rita Y

TVWBB Emerald Member
I have about 1 1/2 cups of juices left from roasting a batch of red bell peppers and they are so good that I'd like to find a good use for them.

Any ideas?

Rita

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rita Y:
I have about 1 1/2 cups of juices left from roasting a batch of red bell peppers and they are so good that I'd like to find a good use for them.

Any ideas?

Rita </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rita,

Try adding some to Bloody Marys.

Jim

Excellent idea, Jim.

Another I'd consider: red pepper vinaigrette. Pique the pepper juices with a little balsamic, sherry, or cognac vin. Add a touch of Dijon and, whisking well, emulsify with evoo. S&P to taste.

With a little basil added with the Dijon it would be nice as a salad dressing (you could add buttermilk alone or with a little mayo for a creamy variation). One of the salad greens should have a little bite or bitterness--arugula or frisee, e.g.

If you like tarragon then a little added with the Dijon would make a great vinaigrette drizzle for grilled or seared tuna or tuna carpaccio, or a great dressing for fish tacos or grilled fish skewers.

The juices would also be nice as part of the liquid mix (along with wine and stock) for risotto. I'm seeing a risotto with fresh-off-the-cob corn kernels, wild mushrooms and asiago. To keep the flavors lighter for a spring dinner menu I'd go with a dry white wine, a light chicken stock and some of the pepper juices. Add the cheese at the end along with some minced flat leaf parsley and, perhaps, top with toasted chopped pine nuts. This would be nice mounded on the plate with slices of smoked brisket cascading off (I'd make a rub of herbs and garlic with a little fennel seed--paste or dry) and here's the kicker--a Bloody Mary sauce a la Jim Pfeff for the side using some of the pepper juices, pureed fresh tomato, a little bit of pureed, strained sauteed celery, vodka, Worce and a touch of horseradish and Tabasco. Dinner!

Wooohoo! Now I don't have enough! The mind reels! Many thanks, Jim and Kevin - I'll try those in the next day or three, or maybe sneak some into dinner tonight.

Rita

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back