Tall Smokey Joe and other Smokey Joe Projects

Pat Smith

TVWBB Wizard
I've ended up with a couple new Smokey Joe silvers (as well as a couple that my dad "rescued" when they were abandoned at campgrounds because the legs were rusting out) and I've been thinking about "projects" to put these little guys to good use. One project was to use the Smokey Joe as the fire-box in a trash can smoker - definitely gonna try that one - and one that I've been thinking about is how to have a Smokey Joe on legs, or some other kind of stand so that it is at waist high level.

Has anybody done this or does anybody have an ideas about how this might be done? I thought about using "Ole Smokey" tall legs and attaching them to the Smokey Joe. I went by my local Academy today to look at a set of the legs and see if I thought they would fit, but they were out of the long legs.

Any ideas for a "tall" Smoke Joe or other Smokey Joe projects would be greatly appreciated.

Pat

Good thoughts and got me thinking too! I never considered the Ole Smokey legs...that might just fly.

This is overly simple, but since I do a lot of camping, I have a couple of these fold up aluminum tables that I use to set my SJ on and they work great. I'm 6'5" and by the time I have the SJ on top of the table, it's slightly over waist high for me. I've found these at both Wal-Mart and Academy Sports in the $15 range.
Fold up table

Excellent Scott! And you get some work surface. I'm restoring an old stainless performer (which will be complete as soon as Weber can get me an ash catcher ring - I'm caught up in the "computer switchover" that has plagued Weber's customer service for a couple of months now) and I suppose I also could sit the Smokey Joe on the stainless work surface of the Performer - that way I can use it for "searing" then drop the meat on my performer to finish up.

Thanks for the idea!

Pat

Back