4 lb extra lean chuck, chili grind
2 lb extra lean pork, chili grind
1 lb extra lean chuck, cut into 1/4" cubes
2 large onions, finely chopped
10 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/2 C Wesson oil or kidney suet
1 tsp mole (powdered), also called mole poblano
1 T sugar
1 tsp coriander seed (from Chinese parsley, cilantro)
1 tsp Louisiana Red Hot Sauce (Durkee's)
8 oz tomato sauce
1 T Masa Harina flour
salt to taste

In a large pot, add paprika, oregano, MSG, chili powder, cumin, beef
bouillon, beer and 2 cups water. Let simmer.

In a separate skillet, brown meat in 1 lb. or 1 1/2 lb. batches with
Wesson oil or suet. Drain and add to simmering spices. Continue
until all meat is done.

Saute chopped onion and garlic in 1 T. oil or suet. Add to spices
and meat mixture. Add water as needed. Simmer 2 hours. Add mole,
sugar, coriander seed, hot sauce and tomato sauce. Simmer 45 min.

Dissolve masa harina flour in warm water to form a paste. Add to
chili. Add salt to taste. Simmer for 30 minutes. Add additional
Louisiana Hot Sauce for hotter taste.

Makes 1 pot.

MikeZ

Colin, I've made Alton Brown's Pressure Cooker Chili recommended by one of our members and it was a really big hit. We love it:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_28231,00.html

One of the reasons that it is so good is his homemade chili powder:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_28230,00.html

A couple of suggestions:
1) Use a heat diffuster (flame tamer) under the cooker, preferably an aluminum one that is 1 to 2 inches wider than your cooker. The cheap ones with the fold-out handles are too small and don't do a good job, IMO, but are better than nothing.

2) Use about 2/3 of the tortilla chips the first time. I must have used thicker chips and the chili was too thick.

3) Lay the chips on TOP of everything else -- don't stir them in before cooking. You'll get less, if any, sticking on the bottom of the pot.

The next time I make this, I'm thinking of using masa harina or pureed white hominy to thicken the chili a little, instead of the chips. Similar flavor, less fat.

4) This recipe should be easy to convert to a Dutch oven method to cook in the oven if you're not into pressure cooking.

5) Costco's stew beef is far superior to that from any supermarket that I've ever tried, and it is usually trimmed very nicely. I cut it smaller since we prefer our chili in 1/2- to 3/4-inch dice. Others prefer larger chunks. Sometimes you can buy chili-grind (coarse-ground) beef. Regular ground beef is too fine to give any textural interest to chili, IMO. Or you can cut your own from a chuck roast if so inclined.

6) I cook large chunks of meat on high pressure for 25 minutes, 1- to 1 1/2-inch dice for 16 minutes, 1/2-inch dice for about 12-14 minutes, and coarsely ground meat for 8 minutes. Remove from the heat and release pressure naturally, about 10 minutes. A natural pressure release will give you the best meat texture.

Rita

Mike,

Looks like a great recipe.
I'm gonna try it except I'll omit the hot
sauce and add four large Jalapenos.
icon_biggrin.gif

And yes, I'll be adding beans.

Jim C

Gotta give this a try since Rita says its good. I have faith in you! Doesnt look like it makes a lot. How many bowls / servings does this make?

Dale, I doubled the recipe to use 6 pounds of stew meat in my 8-quart pressure cooker. It made 4 quarts of chili.....and it's all gone.
icon_frown.gif

The next time I make it I'm going to wait until I release the pressure to thicken the chili. You could soften the chips separately with a little broth to hurry them up.

I bought a heat diffuser made by Calphalon from a local Williams-Sonoma store. A little pricey, but it's paid for itself in scrubbing time and effort. My Kuhn-Rikon cooker likes to scorch a little where the high flame hits the edges of the pot. I guess I could turn the heat down a little, but I'm always in a hurry.

Hope you enjoy the chili. We're getting some chilly chili weather in Atlanta this week.
Rita

Got another question for you. I plan on making this chili this week and want to use A Browns chili powder but not sure if I can get the following:
Cascabel Chiles
Arbol Chilis.
My little area of the world isnt much on gourmet items, but was wondering where you guys find these kind of items. For all I know, wally world sells them and me not seeing them might be just tunnel vision.
I pre she ate it.

Here's one I'll throw in the pot. Normally do it in a slow cooker, all day.

4 Tbs Crisco (or preferably beef suet,rendered)
1 ½ # stew beef
½ # Chorizo
4 Tbs flour
4-5 cups water
4 garlic buds, minced
1 Tbs freshly ground cumin
1 tsp paprika
3 Tbs chili powder (store-bought or your own)
1-2 tsp salt
3 Tbs corn meal or masa harina
1 15 oz can black beans, drained
½ sq unsweetened chocolate (or 2 tsp cocoa)

Heat Crisco very hot in a heavy kettle. Cut beef into ½” pieces and brown a small handful at a time, removing each batch before proceeding. Remove Chorizo from casing, crumble and fry for a few minutes. Add back the meat, dust with half the flour, then add 2-3 cups water. Stir and cook a bit. Then remove to slow cooker.

Add the garlic and the seasonings. Cover and cook slowly for about 4 hours, stirring occasionally. Then add the remaining flour, the corn meal and enough water to make a very thick soup. Cook for another couple of hours until the corn meal is no longer grainy. Add water as needed. When the chili is about done, add the beans and chocolate. Cook a bit longer to meld flavors.

This recipe is adapted from one served at the Dallas County Jail by Sheriff "Smoot" Schmidt years ago. We have since added the thickeners and the black beans. And Alice came up with the idea to add the unsweetened chocolate - we would never cook chili again without it.
icon_razz.gif

Virgil

Chili

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
3 ounces dried ancho chiles -- stemmed and seeded
3 to 6 ounces dried chiles (new mexican, pasilla, guajillo,
chipotle, piquin, etc., vary to taste and
heat level) -- stemmed and seeded
2 pounds chuck -- coarsely ground
1 large onion -- finely chopped
2 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 to 2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon mexican oregano -- optional
6 large garlic cloves -- minced
1 14 1/2-ounce can diced tomatoes
2 cups water
3 cups cooked and drained pinto beans (or 2 cans, rinsed)
2 tablespoons masa harina – mixed with a little water

THE CHILE SEASONING. Heat oven to 350°F. Place chiles on a cooling rack which is placed inside a baking sheet and toast in the oven for 2-3 minutes being carful not to burn them. Once toasted cover the chiles in a small bowl with boiling water and let rehydrate 30 minutes, stirring frequently to insure even soaking. Drain. In a food processor or blender, combine the chiles and a little water. Blend to a smooth puree, scraping down and stirring frequently. If the mixture won't move through the blender blades, stir in a tablespoon or two of water to get things going. With a rubber spatula, work the chile mixture through a medium-mesh strainer into a bowl.

BROWNING THE MEAT AND ONION. Heat a 5-quart pot (preferably a Dutch oven) over medium-high heat. When hot, add the beef and onion. Stir, breaking up clumps, until browned thoroughly, about 10 minutes. If there is a lot of rendered fat, tip it off and discard.

FINISHING THE CHILI. Add the chile puree and stir for about 5 minutes as the mixture thickens and concentrates. Stir in the salt, cumin, oregano (optional), garlic, tomatoes and water; simmer uncovered, for 60 minutes. Add beans and masa harina. Simmer gently over low heat, stirring frequently, until the chili has reduced to coat the meat rather thickly, about 30 minutes.

This is based off of a recipe I saw on PBS, Bayless I think.

Three Bean Slow Burn Chili
Submitted by: Jake Jacobs
"I threw this together on a cold day when I was itching for some chili. The spice measurements are approximate. I start out with 1/8 cup and go from there. It cooks up fast and gets better when stored in the fridge and reheated. Top with shredded cheese and a dollop of sour cream, if desired. Enjoy!" Original recipe yield: 12 servings.

PRINT:
3x5
4x6
Full Page
EMAIL:
to a friend
Send an eCard
RECIPE BOX:
Add to Recipe Box
Rate / Review this recipe
Add a Note
View Recipe Box
SHOPPING LIST:
Add to List
View List

INGREDIENTS:
6 cloves garlic, crushed
1 onion, chopped
4 habanero peppers, seeded and minced
2 (15 ounce) cans chili beans in spicy sauce
1 (15 ounce) can dark red kidney beans
1 (15 ounce) can black beans
4 (10 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with green chile peppers
1 (16 ounce) jar hot salsa
1/8 cup chili powder
1/8 cup coarsely ground black pepper
1/8 cup red pepper flakes
1/8 cup ground cumin
1 (1.25 ounce) package taco seasoning mix
2 pounds ground beef

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DIRECTIONS:
In a large pot over medium heat, combine garlic, onion, habanero peppers, chili beans, kidney beans, black beans, diced tomatoes with green chiles, salsa, chili powder, black pepper, red pepper flakes, cumin and taco seasoning. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer.
While soup is heating, cook beef in a large skillet over medium heat until brown. Drain excess fat, then stir beef into soup pot. Simmer, covered, until flavors are well blended, about 1 hour.
This is a good chili , changed a few things but thats the fun of cooking chili.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dale Perry:
Got another question for you. I plan on making this chili this week and want to use A Browns chili powder but not sure if I can get the following:
Cascabel Chiles
Arbol Chilis.
My little area of the world isnt much on gourmet items, but was wondering where you guys find these kind of items. For all I know, wally world sells them and me not seeing them might be just tunnel vision.
I pre she ate it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Dale...check in the "Mexican Foods" area of your grocery store, if you are near an area with a heavy Mexican-American population, chances you'll have no troubles.

Back