Thermometer Location

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I use 2 polder clones to measure temp at the cooking grate and the meat. I run the cords down through the lid vent holes. I'm finding this method is a pain when I need to remove the lid to mop or add meat. I've tried running the cords under the lid instead of the vent holes. When I do this I see a little smoke escaping from under the edge of the lid where the cords are. Not much but there must be some heat loss if there is smoke coming out. The cords are preventing a tight seal at the lid. Is this something to be concerned with? Is anyone running thermometer cords through the access door and up to the cooking gate and meat? When I have some money I want to buy a few of the remote probe thremometers but until then trying to find the best location to run the cords for my polders. Thanks.

John

John
WSM has some small leaks all the time, this
does not effect the cooker enough to hurt the cook. We run the cable under lid all the time.
I don't worry about what the temp is at each grate. I look at dome temp, if it reads
225-265* I know that the grates are where I want them.
Jim

No problem to run them under the lid - I do this all of the time. Yes a little smoke does come out, which may run the temp a little higher, but maybe only a degree or two. If it does, close the bottom vents some.

I don't think running them through the door is a good idea. It may allow unwanted air to the fire.

SC QUE

Why not just drill a small hole in the body of the WSM, and run the probe/cable through the hole? If you're worried about air leaks, pack aluminum foil around the cable for a near air-tight seal.

Thanks everyone for the help. I'll run the cords under the lid next time and not worry about the "leak". Thanks Chris for showing me how the remote probes work. I'll save my money.

John

Hey John....

Thanks for asking this question and thanks to the VWB group for their responses. If anyone ever needs a good clown act, please ask me to attend your bbq and do my "try and get two probes down the top vent while holding three chickens on a slippery platter while trying to stick one probe into one chicken and let the other probe dangle for dome temp purposes while trying to transfer the three chickens to the grill and close the lid as fast as possible so as not to lose too much heat routine"?. as I did this past weekend! Live, learn and always consult this group; henceforth I too will go under the lid !

....John the Clown!

Used my WSM this weekend and ran the cables under the lid for the first time. Was able to maintain consistant temps and mopping was much easier than through the vent holes. I will continue to run under the lid.

One observation when running the cords under the lid vs. throught the vent. When through the lid vent, no matter what my bottom vents are set to, smoke always comes out the lid vent. With cords under the lid, bottom vents mostly closed, smoke only comes out lid vent. But when opening bottom vents 1/2 or more, smoke starts coming out around the sides of the lid (where the cords go under)instead of lid vent. Not going to worry about it, but was interesting to note.

John

John P said:
"Was able to maintain consistant temps and mopping was much easier than through the vent holes."

Uh, John, mopping through the vent holes is not expected to be easy!
biggrin.gif

Just kidding, now you know why the politicians hate to be quoted out of context!
As far as the smoke, I would guess that with the vents open it changes the air flow through the smoker, causing the leak. As you said, not to worry.

Doug W

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jim Minion:
John <br />WSM has some small leaks all the time, this <br />does not effect the cooker enough to hurt the cook. We run the cable under lid all the time.<br />I don't worry about what the temp is at each grate. I look at dome temp, if it reads <br />225-265* I know that the grates are where I want them. <br />Jim <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Found it! Thanks Jim, this supports my KISS efforts in approaching this new hobby/infatuation/passion...

Here's what an eyelet looks like when installed.

eyelet_1.jpg

eyelet_2.jpg

Simple install ~ less than 5 minutes. 2 probes can fit thru each eyelet /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Shawn:

The conundrum I have, these eyelets (H below), are they large enough to put the entire probe (and some cable) thru and insert into meat or just the tip and monitor grill temp?

|-----G-R-I-L-L-------
H========== <PROBE
|

Timing is everything...whilst I am struggling to type a picture, Mr. Hays posts some excellent pics. Still unclear as to how much can be fed thru. Bill, do you understand what I am attempting to ask?

Yes, they are. Here's an excerpt from an email I got from Shotgun Fred a while back:

"Bill, the outside diameter is .250 just like the screw that is in the hole. the wall thickness of the insert eyelet .015 (15 thousands ) so the inside diameter is .220. A thermometer with a stem diameter of up to 3/16" or .187 will fit right in also. It is about .150" through the eye when crimped into place. Polder and other probes go right in, as well as the Guru's probe."

The second probe goes in just fine, but, when going around the curve in the probe, it gets a little tight, so take care not to pinch the cable. Hope this helps.

Take care,

Keith, I have the same eyelets. You can easily thread the entire Polder probe through the eyelet - the bend in the probe is gradual enough that you can put it all the way through. In fact, I can put two probes (one Polder, one Maverick - which has a slightly thicker wire than the Polder) through one eyelet, which I did this past Saturday. I monitored the temperatures of two butts, one on the top grate and one on the bottom. Since the eyelets come two to a set, you could just as easily run one probe through each eyelet. But I used the upper eyelet for a candy thermometer to measure my cooking temperature just under the top grate, and ran both probe cables through the lower eyelet. Works like a charm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back