flats vs packers

Erich K

TVWBB Fan
Hello Doc!
(fyi - my wife got me your book for father's day, what a woman!) Anyway, do you find that cooking brisket flats different than packers when it comes to the finishing temperature?? Based on your book, it seems like you like to take the brisket off around 190+. Around here (Mass), it's tough to get packers, so I mostly do flats. The last time I did one I took it off at about 180, kept it in foil & dry cooler for about 4 hrs. and it seemed dry/overcooked. Any suggestions/input? Thanks!

You have a nice wife.

Flats are OK, but you have to get a thick one with all the fat left on. Don't be buying one of those piece of a flats with all the fat trimmed off. I do cook them the same. Fat down, and off at 190 to rest.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ray Lampe - Dr. BBQ:
You have a nice wife.

Flats are OK, but you have to get a thick one with all the fat left on. Don't be buying one of those piece of a flats with all the fat trimmed off. I do cook them the same. Fat down, and off at 190 to rest. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I knew I wasnt crazy!
icon_cool.gif
At Sam's and Walmart here in Indy, they trim the *#&#*( out of the flats! Sometimes it is so bad that you cant tell which is the fat side. So, I have to be very picky because fortunately, they are not all trimmed that much.

Back