Meat Grinder Suggestions?

Brandon A

TVWBB All-Star
I'm looking for suggestions on a good quality, reasonably inexpensive meat grinder. I'm just looking for something to grind meat for burger and this summer I want to get into making some sasuage. Small scale, high quality is what I'm shooting for. I dont think electric is nesscicary, but you guys may think differently. Thanks in advance.

I have a Porkert #10 manual grinder(be wary of cheap imitations) and a horn sausage stuffer. The grinder works great for small volume. I buy bulk meat at costco and make hamburger out of it.

As for the sausage maker, I wanted small volume, high quality also and couldn't find any so I settled on the horn stuffer. Haven't used the sausage maker yet.

You can use the grinder as a stuffer but it won't meet your high quality requirement. Some do like using the KitchenAid attachments for grinding and stuffing.

My 2 cents.

I have this model:

http://www.sausagemaker.com/in...=VIEWPROD&ProdID=995

I think I have seen them elsewhere for about $100. I went to their showroom here in buffalo, planning to see if I could get them to knock some off the price, which they did (actually he ended up throwing in a can of food grade lube, which was $15 for free).

as far as the details go, I've used it quite a bit in the few months that I've had it and it seems to work well for grinding (no complaints). I bought it to replace an old cranker that I had. The crank was a pain because it was hard to get it to clamp to a counter, and it was awkward to crank when it was clamped to the counter. The electric makes grinding way easier, clean up takes longer than the actual grinding.

comparing models is a bit tricky but this model seemed like it had a stronger motor than others in its class.

stuffing is doable with it as well. I've made a few batches of sausage stuffed into hog casings. It takes two people (one to feed the meat and one to guide the casing). The last batch, my wife and I struggled a bit, and I think I convinced her that we need a dedicated stuffer. She usually feeds the meat, which requires using the included pusher to force the meat down into the grinder, and she was having trouble withdrawing the pusher as it was creating suction, making the whole operation swear worthy. Plus when the feeding is uneven, it makes the casing guiders job more difficult as the surging meat makes the casing fill unevenly.

Back