Weber Q200 so versatile

MikeV.Brisbane

Hi All,

Recently got back from a business retreat i had on Stradbroke Island over here in Queensland. Its an island just of the coast here in Brisbane so the guys from work decided to have a few days together in a rented apartment. Straddie as its known is famous for its seafood, beach fishing and views.. but often the bbq provided in the rental apartments canbe a dud, so i decided to take the weber Q200 i usually take on camping trips,, absolute life-saver and was used everyday 3-4 times a day.

I have cooked on a performer for the last 8 years and recently got a new wsm over here, but i was completely surprised how versatile this little champ of a bbq was..so we cooked, had beers, went through accounts and took advantage of the bbq...

I took some photos of some the stuff we cooked. Heres the link to the straddie food album and some of the food. ( realised the photos are in reverse order when i uploaded so apologies).

http://s854.photobucket.com/al...v_bris/Straddie_Bbq/

Now i am from across the ditch so here are some notes with the photos in the album
: the views are overlooking Cylinder Beach (left) across to Moreton island, we had a kookabuura mate who would land on the table everyday around mid-morning for 30 mins or so and say hi, and thats him near the laptop, you could go right up to him and he/she would just look at you and blink.

: i tried smoking some ribs on the Q, they turned out pretty good, i dont think they are as good as on the wsm but they exceeeded my expectations, and i had a couple of converts with some homemade bbq sauce. I never tried ribs on the Q before but it was a 2-3 hour cook with a small smoker box as well.

:beer and brats, this was great with beer, nice brats in a tray with onions, peppers, onion and mustard and wow, did they get a workout

: we went down to the local seafood places often, ( prawn/shrimp trawlers) and get the seafood, so bye catch was some nice big fresh squid... one squid would easily feed 4, and with chilli sauces they where sensational

: crabs, well we had both Spanner Crabs and Sand Crabs which are very sweet, the crabs on the bbq are what we call 'Sandies' or Blue-Swimers' im sure you guys have some similar crabs,, in a chilli sauce on the bbq with beer they are awesome.

: One of the guys tried a new recipie, a proper bacon sandwich, ie no bread, just cheese etc and some herbs stuffed between 2 slices of bacon on the barbie, these where good

We also cooked the usual steaks and roasts so didnt bother with photos with those, also got the guys addicted to jalepeno poppers

Hope you guys enjoy a slice of life across the ditch.

Back