Turkey legs!

Larry Farrell

Hello im kinda new at this. But I would like a recipe for turkey legs in the WSMB. What temp and length of time. Ive had this smoker a long time and would like to start using it. Thank you in advance for your help

Larry, hopefully someone will chime in on your thread. I placed 4 on my WSM awhile back along with whatever else I had on the grates. Just saw a 4 pack in the store and thought what the heck. Used a dry rub and probably cooked them around 4 to 5 hours. This is where I messed up, I didn't pay close attention to the length of time in which I smoked them. They turned out great, just like something from the local county fair or better. Were cooked in the 225* range, if I were to cook them by themselves, I would probably increase my temps to 300* or more and go around 3 hours and start checking.

Thanks a whole bunch. That will be a big help. I used to get one every year at the craft fair but the people that cooked them are not there anymore.

You've got a lot of flexibility on cooker temps, but I would do that at about 300. Turkey legs can be used like ham hocks to flavor soups or a pot of beans, so smoke a few extra and freeze them so you can just add one to this or that pot.

Maybe I am the only one but...you guys don't find the legs filled with lots of long, annoying ligaments and tendons? I recently grilled some turkey legs and though the meat tasted fine, I threw the second one away because of all the tendons running throughout the meat. Do you guys shave the meat off with a slicer after cooking, or just eat them in hand like a drumstick?

I hit a good sale on turkey legs once. I brined them and did a hot smoke. Doesn't take more than a couple hours for say half a dozen running hot.

I'll echo what the others are saying, you can cook them anywhere from 225F and up though I'd personally stick to hotter like 300F+.

I've used smoked turkey carcasses for yellow split soup and that was a real treat.

Back