2 egg yolks, beaten
1 tbs butter
1 tsp vanilla
1 banana, mashed
18 vanilla wafers
1 banana, sliced
2 egg whites
1/2 cup sugar

In pan combine sugar, flour, salt and milk, blend. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until smooth and thickened. Add some of this mixture to beaten yolks, then add yolks to mixture. Return to the fire and cook 2 mins, stirring constantly. Stir in butter, vanilla and mashed banana. Remove from heat. In a 6 cup baking dish alternate, the custard, vanilla wafers and sliced banana and ending with custard on top. Cool. Top with a meringue made of egg white and 1/2 cup sugar.

Bake @ 325F for 20 minutes.

Keri C, smokin' on Tulsa Time 9-1-2004
_____

Keri, look at you go! Is that 3 great recipe posts in one day?! Can I adopt you as an honourary Grandma?

Nehow, I always have overripe bananas in the freezer for muffins and loaves, do you think they would work well with this or would fresh be best?

Ehem... well, I AM only 43 - how about we make that a favorite auntie instead???
icon_razz.gif

The frozen bananas would probably be okay to blend into the custard part - they might discolor it a bit as the thawed mashed banana may be somewhat dark already. I'd get a fresh one for the slicing part.

Keri,

As an experienced meringue "attempter" I appreciate the way the recipe casually mentions adding the meringue at the end. Almost as an after thought......lol

Shawn: Its been nice knowin ya. If the Cholesterol don't getcha, Ms. Keri will. Hm, hm, hm (shaking head in sorrow).
icon_wink.gif

BTW, for any banana pie, the sliced bananas should be quite ripe (not brown ripe) but just before. Flavor is best at that point for puddings.

** Epitaph for Shawn? What a Q'n Canuck he was, heh.**

<As we focus in on the scene, we see Grandma Keri with hands on hips, rolling pin in one hand and charcoal tongs in the other, with BBQ sauce-stained apron AND sensible shoes, and looming threateningly over Shawn, who is trembling in terror...>

"Smart-allecky young whippersnapper Canuck!!! See if I include YOU in my will, ya little post pubescent brisket-biter!... Oh now honey, don't tune up and cry - grandma didn't mean it! Here go, here's a nice tender meaty spare-rib, with some of that yummy sweet sauce that you like so much. There there... all better now?"
icon_biggrin.gif
<fade away>

Shawn, I guess that there COULD be a lot worse things than being an honorary Grandma, even at 43 (yes, REALLY 43, born in Sept 1960)! Now that I think of it, some of my husband Robert's friends, even some that are older than I, have called me "Mom" ever since we were married back in 1980 because they knew that all they had to do was show up at our house and they'd get fed, probably with leftovers sent home as well. I've have made a good traditional Jewish or Italian mother - I have a sign hanging in my kitchen that says, "Mange! Mange!".

Okay, Shawn, I hereby proudly accept the title of Honorary Grandmother, with all the responsibilities and privileges accompanying therewith. As such, feeling it my grandmotherly duty to ask, now when are you going to give me some great-grandkids to play with???
icon_biggrin.gif

Keri C, smokin' on Tulsa Time
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

Grandma Keri...Ms. Keri...hmmmm..both have nice ring but I really think Grand... should be earned so grab SO and practice more. Honorary Auntie (pronounced... ON-tee) would be OK.

*** Keith is Grandpa
icon_wink.gif

Back