Beaver Tail

I've tasted beaver a couple of times, and the taste is, er, interresting. For me much more of a novelty than tasty food.

Here we go:
2 Beaver tails
1 / 2 cup wine vinegar
Salt and pepper
2 teaspoons baking soda (NaHCO3)
1 / 4 cup flour
Butter

1 glass of dry sherry
1 teaspoon Colemans mustard powder
1 teaspoon sugar
1 dash Worcestershire sauce

Flay the beaver tails, cut off fat and wash them in salty water. Put the tails in a mixture of vater, vinegar and salt. Store in fridge overnight.

Rinse the tails in cold water, put them in a casserole and cover them with a mixture of water and baking soda. Heat up, and let them simmer for 10 minutes. Dry off the tails, and sprinkle them with wheat flour. Fry them in a buttered pan until tender, low heat.

Mix the sherry with mustard, sugar and worchestershire sauce. pour the mixture over the tails and cook for another ten minutes.

That's how I did them, pretty much, the couple times I have. It's from Northern Cookbook.

Use 2 quarts water to 2 tsp baking soda. Use dry sherry. Use unsalted butter.

To remove the skin, stick a fork in one end and toast the tail over a burner till the skin gets toasty and puffs up. At that point you can more easily strip off the skin. Trim the edge next. Then you're good to go.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Glenn W:
I have a friend that wants me to cook a beaver tail............ Help!?!?!?! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Oh, you gotta post pics of that cook. I need to see it!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Don Cash:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Glenn W:
I have a friend that wants me to cook a beaver tail............ Help!?!?!?! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Oh, you gotta post pics of that cook. I need to see it! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ditto!!

Ohh I would like to se pics aswell,or just tell your homie to never contact you again. Beaver tail? is he testing you?
icon_wink.gif

Guess it tastes like chicken
icon_confused.gif

Good luck on the cook!

This site never ceases to amaze me. Where can you ask for a Beaver Tail recipe and not only get a response but someone who concurs that is how you do it. I too would like to see some pictures. Good luck Glenn

Thanks for the help Geir and Kevin! Yes I am being tested/challenged. Thanks to this site I have become quite the celeb among locals.

I will document this!

Yes I am being tested/challenged. Thanks to this site I have become quite the celeb among locals. I will document this! </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Gonna take one for the team? Outstanding.
icon_biggrin.gif

Back