Tel-Tru BQ300 Install with pics

Chris S Lewis

TVWBB Fan
Ok,

Got out the drill and installed the Tel-Tru yesterday. It was very easy, so easy in fact that my 16 year old son did most of the work, with dad’s guidance of course, so I could take the pictures. I measured 3" down from the handle as there was some discussion on the forum questioning the accuracy if the thermo is mounted more then 3 1/2" from the handle.

I eyeballed the center of the handle, measured the 3 inches, marked my spot with a silver Sharpie and center punched my starting spot. I did put a little masking tape around the mark just incase the drill bit walked while starting the hole. I started with an 1/8 inch drill bit. I used a general purpose bit nothing hardened or fancy. I found the metal the lid is made from to be very easy to drill.

Once the starter hole was finished I switched to a #4 Uni-Bit. As we got close we checked for fit after each step of the Uni-bit went through. At the 13/16” step the thermo threaded right in. As others have said and done I used a standard electrical conduit nut to secure the thermo.

I have not had a chance to “road test” my work but I can’t see where there’d be a problem.

Here are my pictures>>>
Click here for pictures

I figure after a few cooks and some of the Q Goo build up there should be no leaks, and even so a little leak at the lid shouldn't matter.

I had no chipping problems, just go slow and think twice about everything before drilling.

Chris

Nice job. It looks great.
icon_smile.gif

Looks good, Chris.
icon_cool.gif
The therm looks a bit close to the handle though. Do you have any problems with the clearance?

Bill

I remember that moment, looks great Chris! I have the white BQ300, but that black looks nice too. Chris as far as sealing tightly, I actualy left mine a bit loose. This way I can point my target temp straight up. Its kind of nice to be able to look at a glance and see if your needle is pointing straight up or not, just had to add...
Only other thing I can say is, skinny boy, eat some Q! Welcome
icon_wink.gif

Brandon

Where did you order your thermometer from? did it come with everything you needed to do the install? What other hardware besides the electric drill and the #4 uni bit did you need?

Jason,

Funny running into you here...I guess there's life beyond computers for both of us...hehehe

EDIT: I'll send an email

Originally posted by Jason Perlow:
Where did you order your thermometer from? did it come with everything you needed to do the install? What other hardware besides the electric drill and the #4 uni bit did you need?

You should check out Wolfe Rub for decent pricing on thermometers. He is very fast at shipping them out also. If you order it directly from TelTru, they will get one to you in a few weeks time.

You might need a center punch (or a good sized nail) to make a slight indent before you start to drill, but be careful not to hit it too hard or it might chip too much (the hole will cover up any minor chipping caused by the punch.) You can buy the install kit or get the nut and washer at a home store (Lowe's or Home Depot). I just bought the install kit... it was easier. You will need some way to tighten the nut (adjustable wrench or channel locks will work). Check this also: Mounting A Thermometer

It goes pretty easy once you get the unibit started. Hold it steady when starting and you will be fine. Masking tape might help also.

Good luck!

Jason,

I did indeed buy my TelTru from Wolfe Rub, Tom supplied the link in the above post. GREAT customer service and the thermo arrived in 3 days.

I ordered the Thermo without the install kit as I had read on these forums that a standard electrical conduit nut fits and I had plenty of those in my shop.

As for other tools if you look at the pictures link in my original post you'll see everything I used.

To list them:

Center punch
Hammer
Masking tape
Electric drill
1/8” starter drill bit
#4 unibit
flat blade screwdriver (to tighten conduit nut)

That’s pretty much it. As I mentioned check the photo link. I tried to provide step by step details of how I installed mine. There are other variations on how to install a thermo. This is how I did mine.

Chris

Through the years I have read a few of these self install Thermo threads. None of them inspired me like this one to just do it. After seeing your son getting it done in your pictures, I figured I'd give it a shot. I've been using a cheapie Taylor through the vent hole that keeps falling off and burning me when I pick it up. I just ordered the white one from Wolf's with the install kit. Now I have to start asking around for a unibit to borrow (cause I'll never use it again and at $40 I can't justify it). Wish me luck, I've had the WSM for a few years now and I have to say I could use this mod!

BTW, Wolfe Rubs definitely has excellent customer service. I ordered the TelTru Aluminum face BQ300 for my WSM yesterday. Later that day I received an email from Larry Wolfe stating they were out of those so he offered me the TelTru Glow instead. Very nice of them to do that for me, not common in today's world.

Thanks Claude, I am humbled that I inspired you.

My son and I are pretty handy but it really wasn’t too hard to install. If you have any questions while doing it don’t hesitate to ask. The way I see it you could stop at any point and still use the smoker. Only problem would be shutting it down to save whatever charcoal is left for the next smoke.

Good luck.

Chris

I just got done with the install not 15 minutes ago. Came out better than I thought. It was easy with the Unibit. Used the silver marker, punched a starter and used the 1/8th inch bit to start the hole. Took my time, had some burrs on the other side which I cleaned up by drilling from the inside. Also added the other eyelet that come with the set I purchased a while ago. Since this eyelet did not go through the grate bracket, I used a 1/8" thick piece of aluminum with a 1/4" hole to compensate. That came out nice too, placed it right next to the other eyelet and no more messing with trying to get both probes through that on hole. Thanks again!

Good looking job. I like the contrast of the black and redish guage. Looks very classy. Good pics to go along with the mod too, thanks.

Joe

Back