2 T worchestershire sauce
1 T honey
1 T brown sugar
1 t cayene pepper
1 T fresh black pepper
2 t salt
pinch of celery seed

Simmer 20 minutes.

Steve: the Lexington sauce is just wonderful. Now I know what pulled pork is all about. Thanks. I also use and love your No. 5 Sauce

John

Is apple cider vinegar best to use for this recipe, or would white vinegar do better? I have both, and I imagine it is a matter of taste. Any experiences with different vinegars?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris Barry:
Is apple cider vinegar best to use for this recipe, or would white vinegar do better? I have both, and I imagine it is a matter of taste. Any experiences with different vinegars? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I prefer Cider (White House). Maybe I'm crazy but it seems to add more of a smokey taste to the BBQ sauce.

We like the white vinegar. It gives the sauce a little more zip. I hold out a 1/2 cup of white vinegar until I take the sauce off the simmering heat and add it then. I think the simmering step reduces the strenth of the vinegar a bit, so that is why a hold out a little to add in later.

Here's an alternative Lexinton-style BBQ sauce for some of you to try if you like:

3 C. Apple Cider Vinegar
2/3 C. of dark brown sugar
1/2 C. Heinz Kethup
2 T. Texas Pete Hot Sauce
1 T. Worcesterhire sauce
1 t. salt
1 t. ground pepper
1 t. onion powder
1 t. garlic powder
1/4 t. crushed red pepper
1 t. Jack Daniels

Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer till all ingredients dissolve. Refrigerate for several hours before serving.

Enjoy.

I just made this one and we will try it today.
I also added a bit of margarine to it.
When I passed through North Carolina the owner of one of the BBQ joints said he added it to his red sauce and it makes it "stick" better to the meat.
Anyone else do this?

Burt
icon_smile.gif

It is interesting to see old posts resurface...

Today, I would cut the worster sauce and the black pepper to 2 teaspoons.

I have not tried adding margarine.

I serve it out of the fridge or room temp. Probably has more flavor warm tho. Tell us what you think after you try it.

Back