How Much Fuel Will an 18" WSM Hold

James Harvey

TVWBB Pro
Hi All,

I've been reading a few post lately and most mention the amount of charcoal (lump or briquettes) they used. I'm planning an overnight smoke and will use the Minion method for a long (maybe 16hrs) cook. I've read posts where people say their WSM can hold up to 20# of fuel. I can't see this being true. Would that be using the ring or just loading the bottom up? Anyone have an opinion of how much I can get into an 18 WSM and how long a burn I should be able to get assuming stable weather conditions and Kingsford Briquettes?

Thanks,

James

Hi James. If you are doing the cook tonight with the cold temps that we have today, you won't get 16 hrs out of a full ring. I usually use lump, and when doing and overnightere, I will have to add some again in the morning. To do this I usually just take the middle and top section off carefully (I dont use water in the pan, just dry foiled) and add the coals, wait for a minute or so to get extra air to light them, and assemble the cooker. You will need to open your vents some until the new is lit, and then close them sown again. Or you can add a chimney full of lit the same way, and put the cooker together again as soon as you have dumped the coals in the WSM.

To start off tonight, fill your ring until full, shake your pan to settle the charcaol, and then dump your chimney and you are good to go. Have a good sleep, the only time that I check my WSM on an overnighter is when I have to go to the bathroom. It is an easy cooker (as I am sure you have figured out already) to operate.

Hope this helps.

When I use to use <span class="ev_code_BLUE">K</span> I think 2/3 to 3/4 bag is all I could get in with 6 wood chunks.

No matter if you pack the cc in tight as possible and minion with 15 or so lit your good for at least 8-12 hrs IMO.

Let us know how it goes!

As a note, the new 18.5 water pan is deeper than the old one so it may hit the coal if you pile it too high.

Back