CharQ or Kettle?

Justin B

TVWBB Fan
I picked up a CharQ for $10 yesterday at a yard sale.
icon_cool.gif
Does anyone have any advice about how to use it best? The grill looks great, barely used so I'm psyched. Is it as good as my kettle though? There doesnt seem to be as much room between the grate and charcoal. Thanks!

Here is a link to my experience with my CharQ.
It is not suitable for use with lump as built. http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/fo...0071575/m/1970094935
The kettle is more versatile and I use it more often than the CharQ. But the CharQ is handier when used as a portable grill. If your primary use of the CharQ will be direct or two sided indirect with briquettes then it will work fine. However if you want to use lump and/or do onesided indirect then I recommend the modifications I made.

Well, I took the Q to the carwash today to clean it. And then oiled the grates. I decided that I would try a couple steaks. I fired up the charcoal in the char baskets on my performer and then moved them carefully to the Q. I let it heat up for about 20 mins and threw them on. Ive never grilled steak before but they were excellent. Loved the sear that the CI grates gave. They tasted even better. Had trouble making sure they were cooked thru though. Had to send one back on to get rid of a little pink. So, all in all, I didnt mind using it over my Performer. Just need to get a chimney. And cleanup was relatively easy. This should serve me well camping at the beach.

I picked up e.coli a long time ago and was very sick. I eat my eggs sunny side up, but my meats have to be well done. Its a mental problem I think. Kinda like the one that makes me overclean my grills!

Back