Pork Belly Price

I think I am finally going to bite the bullet (no pun intended) and make my own bacon. I am having a hard time finding pork bellies. The one place I did find said they were $4.99lb trimmed. The butcher said if I wanted them untrimmed they would be less but wouldn't say how much less. Another butcher said the price fluctuates so much that I would have to call the day he put his order in to get a price. I think $4.99 is a bit too much.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

It's too high. You don't note where you're location is (a good thing to add to your profile; it makes helping easier in some cases) but if you have any markets around that cater to Hispanics or Asians (and that have a meat department) try there.

Yes, seems like a lot. They go for around $2.50 lb here. As Kevin wrote while I was writing, I find them at the Asian markets.

Up here in northern michigan we don't have many chain stores. The $4.99 price came from a family owned meat market/ grocery store. I did check with one of the Hispanic markets but again he didn't have it but said he would get it for me. Again no firm price. Thanks for the ball park figure though.

I get it from a local butcher for $2.39/lb.
After a couple times in for the belly, the guy brings out a couple of his best 10-pounders, skin-off. Great service, and can't beat the price.

Thank you guys for all of your help. I found a butcher about 30 miles away for $2.39 and then I found a hispanic store that sold them to me for $2.19 a pound. So soon I will be Makin Bacon.

Don't forget the Asian markets. They are the cheapest option for me ($1.99/lb) and pork belly is big in Korean bbq so it is usually readily available.

$2/pound here at the local Mexican grocery store. You have to ask - they have it frozen in the back somewhere.

Back