Genesis 1000 Burner Issues - Help

LarryR

TVWBB Diamond Member
Greetings, first time poster, what a great site!

I need some advice on a decision I’m having difficulty making – Repair my current grill or purchase a new one:

I have been a very happy Genesis 1000 (same unit) user for the past 12 years, however over the past year I’ve started having some problems with her; I replaced the burners and manifold about six months ago and while she’s running better than she was with the old burners, I’m getting hot and cold spots and I can only get her to pre-heat up to about 425 degrees. I’m also having some challenges with the front burner tube and as it seems to run lower than the middle and back. I love the grill and my thoughts were to replace the burners/manifold and if I was satisfied with the results (should burn just like when she was new I thought) then I would replace the cooking grate and flavorizer bars. Now I’m starting to think it’s not worth the additional $100 based on how she’s burning. I’ve tried adjusting the air things on the manifold and currently have them set to about ¼ inch and no success. I cleaned around the lid and other ventilation locations back to new condition and no success. Any suggestions guys? I really love the grill, it was a gift from my father who is no longer with me and I’d like to continue using it for sentimental reasons . . . but it’s becoming increasing challenging to cook on. Note, I have also replaced the regulator.

We grill 2 – 3 times a week year round, don’t know if on this site that’s considered often or not but you can see how frustrated one might get with the mediocre performance I’m currently experiencing. I’d really rather get her running better and purchase a new off-set smoker than buy a new grill so any ideas/direction would be greatly appreciated. Also, what is a PCI grate?

Thanks in advance – LarryR, Fresno, CA

WSM (est. delivery date 5/3/07)
Weber Genesis 1000
22 1/2 Performer w/Touch-N-Go

Larry

Welcome to the board. I had a similiar experience with a 12 year Genesis 2000. I chose to replace it with a Genesis Silver B with PCI grates, and have been happy with my decision. My vote would be to go with a new unit and there are some nice ones out there this year. I think the E-310/320 come with PCI grates (porcelain coated cast iron) and the S series with SS grates, but you should check the Weber site to be sure.

I wouldn't worry about the offset because once you receive your WSM, I think that will be your smoker of choice.

Paul

Update to my original post: I ordered the WSM over the Bar-B-Chef off-set smoker.

Thanks - LarryR, Fresno CA

Weber Genesis 1000

Paul, thanks for your reply. I read a thread someplace else on this site where they suggested taking the manifold off and blowing out the openings with an air compressor, so I tried it and it did the trick! Burning like a champ!! Ordered the bars and grates from Amazon today!

If there weren't other reasons to keep the grill I would have upgraded to the 320 in blue, what a beautiful grill!!!

Ciao,

Larry R., Fresno CA

Weber Genesis 1000

Glad you got the old Genesis working again. Hope you like your WSM. That would be my choice for a backyard smoker. But I have to say, of all of the moderately priced offsets I know of, the Bar-B-Chef is the best one. The newer ones have the modifications desigend in (baffle by the firebox, extended draft tube to grate level, and thermometer mounted at grate level.) The Bar-B-Chef has good thick steel and with these changes, it cooks well, too. But you can still get longer cook times with the WSM using the Minion menthod.

I'm having problems with my grill getting gas to the burners. I've changed the regulator since it needed to be updated anyway. I've cleaned the burners out but there doesn't seem to be any gas getting to the burners. Has anyone else had this problem?

Frankie, the most common problem is there is not enough gas, so the grill tends to top out around 200 degrees or so. If this is the case, it's not a defect in your equipment; it's a training issue.

Propane tanks have a safety device that detects if too much gas is flowing and it trips a shutoff valve. What can happen is if you don't open and close your valve correctly, there's a big rush of gas and the safety shutoff trips.

So what you want to do is shut your grill burners off, shut off the tank valve, and start from scratch.

Step one is make sure the burner valves are turned off. Some people turn them on before they open the tank valve. This is a big mistake. If there's no back pressure, then you'll trip the shutoff. So make sure the burners are turned off.

Step two is open the tank valve. You don't want to spin it open as fast as you can. Instead, you want to ease it open, especially at the point where the valve starts to open and the gas begins to fill the lines. You want that gas to fill up the lines somewhat slowly so it won't trip the shutoff. Once the system is pressurized, you can spin that valve open quickly. But until it's pressurized, just ease it open.

Three. Now open the burner valve and light the grill.

To shut off the grill, do the reverse. Turn off the burner valves first, then shut off the tank valve.

Now having said all that, if you are getting no gas at all, you must have an obstruction, leak, or broken valves somewhere in your system. Cleaning the burners and replacing the regulator are good steps. Just make sure the tank itself isn't defective, make sure the gas line isn't plugged, and make sure there are no leaks.

Hope this helps.

I have an old Genesis 2000 and have always done exactly like Tom said except, I always turn the tank off 1st and let the burners burn out, releasing all pressurized gas, and then shut the burner valves. I'm curious if this makes any difference. My thinking is to leave no lines pressurized..

Bill

Bill
Good move. I also always turn the bottle off first, that way there is no gas trapped in the lines. It reduces the chance of accidents, It's a habit that I have had since I first started to use gas. The regulators that you have differ from the Australian ones. I have never come across the problems that you guys experience with regulators.

Regards

Tom, I've tried all of your suggestions but there still is no gas getting to the burners. I've switched out the tank, put on a new gas line and checked for leaks. Any more suggestions? I'm stuck.

Frankie, I guess you need to go step by step until you find the defect. Start by taking the hose off the tank, and ease the valve open and see if you get a good rush of gas. If you don't, then you know where the problem lies. Then attach the gas line to the tank, but leave the other end free, and try it again. See if you get good gas flow through the gas line. If not, either the line is plugged or the regulator is defective. If the flow is good, then the problem is in your valves, manifold, or burners. Just keep trying one thing in the line, then the next, until you find where the gas blockage is.

Paul, thanks for your reply. I read a thread someplace else on this site where they suggested taking the manifold off and blowing out the openings with an air compressor, so I tried it and it did the trick! Burning like a champ!! Ordered the bars and grates from Amazon today!

If there weren't other reasons to keep the grill I would have upgraded to the 320 in blue, what a beautiful grill!!!

Ciao,

Larry R., Fresno CA

Weber Genesis 1000

** AWESOME tip to blow out slow burning tube / clogged manifold tip w/ air compressor!! I had the SAME problem...and now perfect!!! **

Back