where to get fresh side/ pork belly

Hunter Lewis

TVWBB Member
I want to try smoking my own bacon in the next couple of weeks, but I cant seem to find fresh side or pork belly (I am not even sure which one you are supposed to use) If I recall correctly, there was a great recipe on the board for smoked bacon. Does someone have a link to that or another tried and true recipe for homemade hickory smoked bacon?

Smoke on

Hunter

Searching 'bacon' in the Find box in the Pork Recipes section gives these results, several of which are recipes.

Pork belly and fresh side are the same thing.

Try the Hispanic markets and carnicerias on the southeast/south side, or on the east side along E Colfax all the way to Aurora.

My guess is you'll have to go to a locker to find pork bellys, i've never seen them in a grocery store. However you can go with Buckboard Bacon which utilizes boneless pork butt. Tomarrow will be the fourth time I've done buckboard. Everytime I do more then the last time. I have 20lbs ready to get smoked tomarrow, cant wait!

Brandon

One other option is to check Asian markets. There's one in Madison that always has fresh side pork. That's where I get mine most of the time.

The ultimate is to get Berkshire pork belly, if you can ever find a source. That tastes so good, you'll be on cloud nine.

Here's a Berkshire source from the Eat Wild page for Colorado:

Western Spirit Ranch, LLC, Ed and Debbie Carpenter, 1085 Cheyenne Place, Parker CO 80138. (303) 841-0648. E-mail: info@wsrllc.com

I drive for a living. Almost 90% of my time is away from home. Just hit the 3 million mile mark.

I am through or to Denver from time to time.

David's post above and Bryan's elsewhere on an Asian-style recipe reminds me: Check Pacific Ocean on Alameda and Yuma. There is another Asian market there in the same shopping square but that place I didn't like. I was not in the market for belly but I bet they'd have it. If you scoot over from HR and run up Federal to Alameda, go east from there. Halfway to 25 you'll find the square.

Just looked them up. It's Pacifc Ocean International Market 2200 W Alameda 303-936-4845. You could try calling but I don't recall anyone speaking very good English.

hunter. I am in denver too. On coalfax and maken in aurora there is a market and they get their pork belly from Long mont packing. It is frozen and $2 a pound. the phone number is 3033443862and there is another one at coalfax and chambers 3033616123give me an email or a call and we will talk bacon I am doing my first one and kevin is helping me.
Originally posted by Hunter Lewis:
I want to try smoking my own bacon in the next couple of weeks, but I cant seem to find fresh side or pork belly (I am not even sure which one you are supposed to use) If I recall correctly, there was a great recipe on the board for smoked bacon. Does someone have a link to that or another tried and true recipe for homemade hickory smoked bacon?

Smoke on

Hunter

I am going to try making bacon soon and found a packing company near my location that sells pork fresh side. Used the search feature on this BB and this thread turned up which answered my question "Is pork fresh side the same as pork belly?" Thank you Kevin K. The packer wants $3.29/lb which doesn't seem like a great deal, but their location is close which counts for something. Any recommendations on how many pounds to buy for a first attempt? I figure if I am going to go to the effort I might as well do 4 or 5 pounds. Sound reasonable?

Yes. I often do a 5-pound hunk which I then cut into two, curing each half separately, a different flavor mix for each.

After curing pork butt for Buckboard Bacon a few years ago my wife and I have been spoiled and only purchase regular bacon if needed for food projects i.e. ABT’s and such. I guess all home cured bacon is habit forming!

Val

Thank you for the input guys. I'll let you know how it turns out....I haven't decided on the curing method yet. I will let you know what I decide....may have to wait until next weekend to make my trip to Jerseyville, IL to purchase the belly.

I did my first bacon over Thanksgiving day weekend and I got ~10 pounds. Got them from the asian grocery store as "pork sides" pre-cut in 2.5 pound rectangles. Some people also recommend trying any hispanic grocery stores (although not sure how abundant those ethnic stores are located in your part of the country
icon_smile.gif
).

Tried 3 different recipes and found one recipe a bit salty. I forgot to try a piece after curing.

The wifey wants me to make some for Christmas gifts, so I have 35 pounds curing now
icon_rolleyes.gif

But I do recommend at least 5 pounds because as long as I'm firing up the smoker, might as well make it worthwhile!

Last weekend I purchased two pork bellies (see photos of one bellyPhotos. I used the Ruhlman and Polcyn maple cure. Each belly was cut crosswise into 4 approximately 3lb pieces.

This morning completed 7 days of curing so I smoked them on the WSM. It took about 5 hours for the smoke. Smoker temps varied a little bit but stayed between 170F and 190F. It was around 33F today and the winds were not too bad.

The bacon reached a point where it didn't want to budge off of 145F and stayed there for about 90 minutes, so I pulled it. The bacon was so soft and sort of translucent looking that I was worried that it may have been on too long. It wasn't until after I had cut the 8 approximately 3lb slabs into 1.5lb pieces, food saver sealed, and put in the freezer that the bacon really looked like bacon to me. Finally at that time the bacon showed the meat/fat striations that I recognize. I didn't take anymore photos than the few above because I was thinking that it was not turning out well. We did try some for dinner (we had breakfast for dinner tonight)and it was good. I had trouble making thin slices while it was warm and so the slices were thicker than what I like but it had good flavor. I could detect the hickory smoke well, but neither my wife nor I could really pick up the maple flavor. The salt content seemed perfect to me.

Despite getting the pork belly for $1.99/lb I made the following purchases: pink salt, real maple syrup, maple sugar, refrigerator thermometer (I bought a $4 Taylor at the hardware store and I am pleased with it....bought one for the freezer also....glad I bought the one for the fridge because my standard fridge setting was around 34-35F and I made a slight adjustment which kept it around 38-40F for most of the week), Charcuterie book, dextrose since I was ordering from Butcher and Packer and thought I might use it in the future, and more food saver bags. I'm sure it put me over the price for store bought bacon, but I'll have everything for the next time....plus it was fun and interesting. Will try some different bacon styles the next time.

One more thing...I removed the skin before smoking on a couple of pieces but gave that up as it was too difficult. After smoking, I removed the rinds (as the book instructs) on the others and it was much easier....I could slide the knife right against the underside of the skin and removed pretty much only the skin and very little fat.

I have a lot of bacon on my hands, but will be giving away quite a bit next week and will still have more than we need (or should eat). It is vacuum packed and frozen so should last at least 3 or 4 months.

Back