Cranberry Barbecue Sauce & related rub, great on poultry

Keri C

TVWBB Wizard
The combination of this sauce and rub is VERY tasty on chicken.

Cranberry Barbecue Sauce and related rub - Excellent with Poultry

1/2 cup ketchup
1 Tbs cider vinegar
1 Tbs spicy brown mustard
1 Tbs Worcestershire sauce
3 Tbs sugar
1 clove garlic
1/4 small onion, cut in hunks
1/4 cup fresh cranberries
1 dash salt
1 dash pepper

Dump all into a food processor with the chopping blade in place, and puree until the cranberries disappear. Scrape out of the food processor into a saucepan, and bring to a simmer over low heat. Let it simmer, stirring now and then, for just a few minutes. This with a little water if needed.

Yields about 1 cup.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Herb Chicken Rub

1 1/2 tsp poultry seasoning
1 1/2 tsp garlic salt
1 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp sugar

Makes enough for 1 good-sized chicken

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(Originally by Dana Carpender)

Keri C, still smokin on Tulsa Time

Keri, I used this combination rub and sauce yesterday and it was really good - one of my best, actually. Easy and quick to put together too. I'm going to use it for a 10-chicken cook on Wednesday. I used my pickling spice brine first and it blended very well with the rub and sauce.

Thanks for posting this one!
Rita

Glad you liked it! I haven't done this one in a while - if we ever get some rain here in OK and our burn ban gets lifted, I think this is next in line.

Keri C

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">if we ever get some rain here in OK and our burn ban gets lifted, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Keri,

I never even considered that a burn ban would apply to a WSM. How long has it been since you could use it?

Does the ban apply to kettles also?

Ray

The burn ban applies to anything that uses charcoal or makes fire that is open at any time - offsets, WSMs, kettles, concrete block pits, they're all forbidden at the moment. About the only rig that's legal right now are the pellet cookers, since the fire is not exposed when the doors are open. In fact, we're trying to find some folks in the area with Cookshack FE pellet munchers to do the cooking for a CBJ class here on Feb 18.

We haven't had a good soaking rain since last October, and the hard-core burn ban has been on since the first of January. There have been some terrible wildfires all around Oklahoma - some within a mile of our home. No fun, that.

Keri C

Back