smoked jalapenos?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hi all,

My wife and I are about to purchase a WSM. We're completely new to smoking and this web site has been a great resource. One thing we want to know is can we smoke jalepenos on the WSM to make chipotles? We're growing a lot of chiles this year and want to be able to preserve them.

Thanks,
Jack

Jack..

Welcome to WEBER WORLD!!

You sure can smoke jalaps to make your chipotles. I smoke them and habs every year. Just got done with a couple hundred a few weeks back.

When you get ready to actually do this, I will give you a link with step-by-step directions. Here is a quick overview....

Let the jalaps mature to a red color. Cut off the stems and split the long way. You have a choice here to either take the seeds and membranes out or leave them in.

Remember, there is NO heat in the seeds, it is all in the membranes......if you doubt this, eat a seed and then try the same amount of membrane.....you WILL BELIEVE!!! I do a little of both, some of these I grind into powder(leave all seeds and membranes intact) others I plan on serving in various dishes so I want them a little milder(no seeds and a little membrane).

Then you smoke them at around 130 degrees for 24 hours. Pretty simple really! We will show you how to get a 24 hour burn from your WSM!

Good luck and keep us informed!

Stogie

Thanks for the tips guys. We're ordering it today and it should be here before Christmas. Can't wait. We'll let you know how we go.

Regards,
Jack

Thanks Chris!! I am away for the Holiday and on my in-laws computer....hence no bookmarks!

Jack, go to Randy's site and you will see some fabulous directions.

Good Luck!!

Stogie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back