Sausage question

Dan Moore

TVWBB Fan
I just received a copy of Bruce Aidell's book, Complete Sausage Book and I was reading about creating sausage links. The author suggests how to pinch and twist the casing to create links but at the end, he says to seal the ends. My question is: How do you seal the ends of the links?
I have a Weston meat grinder and a new LEM 5# stuffer was delivered yesterday. This is going to be one of my winter projects and I would like to become skilled enough with the process so that I can smoke a variety of sausages in the WSM.
Thanks in advance for any help....

Dan

Tie a knot in the casing before you separate the last link from the rest of the casing. Not enough (usually) to hold onto if you don't.

OR just a piece of butcher twine will do as well. Just remember to get rid of it b4 eating
icon_wink.gif

That's for the last link. The "middle" ones are just twisted and don't come apart when you are done/separate them.

I've seen them (when twisted)described as: you twist every other one in the opposite direction to the 2nd one b4 it. About 3 or 4 twists.

They didn't say why though. Maybe by doing that, you won't "untwist" the one that came before the one you're doing.

I found a link that describes/pics regarding this. Don't worry about the stuffer. It's the method I was pointing out:

http://www.dakotahsausagestuffer.com/makesausage.htm

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Petre:
1st, you need a hat, if you don't own a classic bowler a Stetson will do it:

like so:

slow motion:

'til you master it: </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He talks reel funneee.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Len Dennis:
I've seen them (when twisted)described as: you twist every other one in the opposite direction to the 2nd one b4 it. About 3 or 4 twists.

They didn't say why though. Maybe by doing that, you won't "untwist" the one that came before the one you're doing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They do untwist, and it's quite frustrating. Even if you didn't read that tip first, you wouldn't twist them all the same direction a second time.

Back