Vacuum Sealers/Shipping containers for meat

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hello All,

I have a few questions:

1) I'd like to buy a vacuum sealer for use with my barbeque. I'd like to be able to package a whole slab of ribs if possible. It seems like most of my meat is too spicy for my family so I'd like to be able to preserve it, and I hate freezer burn. With a vacuum sealer, will I be able to package it, and then drop it in hot water to heat it up, and also will I be able to put a whole slab into a vacuum sealed package?

2) I'd like to be able to ship ribs to some of my friends who are a few states away, for their enjoyment. I know that some mail order meat places use shipping containers filled with dry ice to do this..does anyone know of a supplier of these types of containers, or have an alternate method that would work?

Thanks.

Robert

Hi Robert,

My family makes frequent use of the Foodsaver brand vacuum packaging system. You can find these online and in many bulk discount superstores.

There are a couple of sizes available, packaged with many different accessories.

This thing really works. I bring fresh frozen fish and various other foods to California from Hawaii all the time, and there are no smells, no freezer burn, and everything else the commercial talks about.

The particular unit being used has been used heavily for the last 5-8 years easy, so it's pretty sturdy. Replacement bag rolls are also easy to come by.

I've even used the solid containers to vacuum marinate meats for grilling and it seems like it speeds up the process.

If you get one of these, I can share some of the various techniques we've developed to seal dry foods, wet foods, even sauces and pickles with marinade in these bags.

Kevin

Robert, I have a FoodSaver Compact II. I use it all the time, and it works great. The bags come in uncut rolls, 8" or 11" wide, or you can buy them pre-cut. The 11" size will work for ribs. The FoodSaver by Tilia is the one to get, as it uses a piston pump to create vaccuum, versus the fans used by the cheap imitations. I would get the Compact II at minimum. It's the lowest-priced model to include the jar sealer port, which I use a lot. When I make up a big pot of soup, I fill up Mason jars with the leftovers, vac them, and put them in the freezer. I bought my FoodSaver from QVC (iqvc.com). You can get the Compact II with a nice set of accessories for about $125. Sam's has the best deal on the bags that I've found; $26 for 2 of each size roll. You can wash and reuse the bags to save money. All in all, one of the most useful appliances I own.

Steve

[This message has been edited by Steve Bennett (edited 10-24-2000).]

I have the FoodSaver Deluxe which is a commercial quality unit. If you live in an area where there is a Costco Wholesale club, they carry them for $159. You can also mail order one for $159 thru Chefs Catalog at: www.chefscatalog.com.
They are offering free shipping now for orders over $75.00, and no sales tax if you don't live in Il. or TX.
They also carry the FoodSaver Professional ll, which is the top of the line model for $274.99, (after rebate $249.00, which expires 12/31/2000).

Happy shopping!

B. Rowley

foodsavr.jpg

Here's a pic from the website of using my Foodsaver to vacuum seal pulled pork. I got the standard package deal at Costco.

The thing works great and allows me to portion out leftovers. The bags can be boiled, or you can snip a corner to vent a sealed bag and put it right in the microwave.

The rolls allow you to make a custom-sized bag of any length, which works well for slabs of ribs. The only catch is that a sharp point on a bone can puncture the bag when the vacuum is applied, causing you to lose your seal. You can wrap the slab in Saran to "pad" any sharp bones, then slide it into the bag and seal it up.

Regards,
Chris

Good morning all?..thanks to Robert for posting and to all members that have replied with great advice to this question. After a bad frozen turkey experience Monday night, my wife and I were discussing this very topic coming in to work this morning. She's come to allow me much greater financial latitude in food processing purchases if y'all bless it! Because of her new found attitude and you guy's suggestions, I now have a Maverick remote on order and will have a Foodsaver Deluxe in hand by this afternoon! If our Presidential candidates only knew just how good this web site was for the economy??.John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back