Uneven heat

Ben K

When I have used the Weber Q, I get uneven heat! Where the gas line enters the grill, in the front right corner is the hottest and as the burner travels clockwise around the grill it gets progressively cooler. Because of this I can't get nice grill marks on steaks and chicken. It seems that this is a grill best suited for hambrgrs and dogs.

Ben

Ben
Do you have a 200 or a 220, what is the temp after a 10 minute preheat. (You are preheating aren't you?)
First check the Spider Guard mesh. Next check the height and colour of the flame it should be mainly blue and an even height.
Check that the flame height changes when you adjust the gas flow control.
Finally call Weber CS

Regards

my 220 seems to be rather even. for some reason i think its hotter in the back but i think thats just me. as phil says, ya gotta preheat for 10 minutes. mine will do marks and more after that. i tend to turn the supply down 50 % after that and its still hot enough.

I have a 120 and I do preheat. I use the start/high setting for about 5 min with the lid closed then switch to low for the next 5 min and clean the grate. Maybe I need to have the lid closed while it preheats on low as well and clean in the beginning.

Ben

Ben
I strongly suggest that you preheat on high for 10 minutes. All preheat and cooking should be done with the lid closed.
One of the design features of the Q series is the concept of closed lid cooking. the Q120 only puts out 9600 BTU, this, dissapated over a surface area of 189 square inches is not effective enough without the heat being captured and retained.
With the lid closed you can expect to achieve heat of about 450+

Regards

I have noticed an uneven heat as well. It seems hottest on either end at the corners of the burners. I noticed real uneven grill marks on a steak that cooked one side on a corner and the other in the center (burnerless) zone. I did preheat and the oven thermometer said over 600 degrees.

Originally posted by Brent:
I have noticed an uneven heat as well. It seems hottest on either end at the corners of the burners. I noticed real uneven grill marks on a steak that cooked one side on a corner and the other in the center (burnerless) zone. I did preheat and the oven thermometer said over 600 degrees.

Hmmm .... Interesting, I have not noticed this at all with mine nor when demonstrating. I generally cook a steak so it is partially over the burner position and when demonstrating I cook a steak (or chicken) in the centre.

I will check it out in the next couple of days and see what results I get.

Regards

i've noticed a little uneven heat but it really is of no consecuence. for sure my charcoal grill is probably worse and the q is deffinately better than some regular gassers that i've used. still thrilled by mine.

I have a Q120 and tend to notice that it's hotter towards the front than the back so if I find that food is cooking a bit too much at the front, i just swap it around with the food at the back for a more constant overall result.

Actually I kinda think it's good to have the hotter area at the front because sometimes I like using my griddle hotplate for breakfast cooking or some vegies and can line up some sausages along the front of the griddle on the grill bars for the grill marks and smokey taste.

As far as heat is concerned, I do at times notice that some brands of LPG Gas burn hotter than others depending where you fill up and have got my little Q120 well over 500F and I was afraid it was gunna melt LOL

Cheers

Davo

Well I did a couple of tests to see what is happening, You guys are correct, The Q does get hotter in one area as compared with another. I could change the position of the extra heat by orientating the Q to different postions relative to airflow The temp could change by 15 degrees (C) in extreme cases. This was more prevalent after opening and closing the lid in short time periods after. After about 10 minutes the temps would stabilise, as most grilling is 4-5 minutes between lifting the lid you would experience higher grill temps generally at the front. There is a negligible effect on low and slow cooks or roasting.

Regards

Back