Performer propane connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burtess

TVWBB Fan
A couple of days ago I picked up a slightly used Performer. The old owner had a couple of brass fittings attached to run to a 20lb propane tank. Lucky I checked them because they were the wrong size and were only threaded in 1 or 2 threads deep.
I want to use it with a disposable but it looks like the original connection was "modified"; I think there is supposed to be a pin in it to depress the valve on the top of the disposable tank when it gets screwed on.
Here is a pic of my connection:
Performerpropaneconnection.jpg

Could someone take a look at theirs and let me know if this needs replacing or maybe post a pic?

Thanks!
Burt
icon_smile.gif

I took a look at mine and it looks like you are definitely missing the brass fitting with pin that a disposable bottle fits on. It screws directly into the fitting that you pictured.

Also, I noticed in your other post that your bottom shelf is installed incorrectly. The side supports are upside down. You should remove and flip them over and then your shelf will sit correctly and the charcoal bin will be snugged up under the table. My co-worker had the same issue which I noticed this week when we were cooking together.

icon_smile.gif

Burt I just looked at mine too, and as Bob said you are missing the brass fitting which does have a pin. I would imagine any grill shop could provide you with the fitting.

Bob I just looked at Burt's previous post and I don't see where the shelf is installed improperly. It is installed just like the diagram in the Owner's Manual. Am I missing something?

If you look carefully at Burtess' pics, you can see that the shelf is sitting too low and the angled part in the front and back are actually below the side supports. The shelf is supposed to fit into the groove in the side supports and the side supports get attached with the groove up. Thus the wire shelf is completely enclosed in the plastic as it angles down and the clearance above the charcoal bin is about 1 inch. It's subtle in his pics, but I just saw it in person this week. The owners manual shows the assembly as I have described it. HTH.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gary McD:

Where is Sayville, NY? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We're on the south shore of Long Island, about half way between NYC and Montauk.

I had a girlfriend on Long Island for quite a while, but no thanks the traffic there is horrendous. Then it cost me an arm and leg to cross the bridge to the mainland.

Actually beer was a lot cheaper there than it was in Buffalo, so that was a good thing.

Burt that Performer is in really nice condition. I love mine and use it more than any other Weber grill that we have. I am sure that you will enjoy yours especaily when the propane is working.

I just installed a canister yesterday for the first time. You already know you're missing the fitting, but I don't know why I never used one before. Sure makes things easier.

Turns out this fitting is next to impossible to find. I have been to a couple Barbeque Galore locations and to a massive fittings supply store and nobody can match the threads in the regulator. It is 1/2" but the threads are finer than NPT standard sizes. Tried a bunch of metric fittings (seems like the regulator and hose are made in France???) to no avail.

Emails to Weber were not productive. They will sell me the full regulator and hose unit for $25, which I would buy in a second if I lived in the U.S.; but they refuse to tell me the size of the thread in the regulator or the actual fittings name so that I may look for it somewhere else. They suggested that I purchase the full unit from OMC (distributor in Canada) but I have had no response to that email in a week; but I am sure that they will quote upwards of 3X the cost of the regulator in the U.S...

I bought another regulator (to be used with a table top grill) but the hose fitting is ever so slightly larger than the fitting attached to the new regulator, so this will go back.

Any other ideas on what I can do with this thing (its starting to peeve me off lol...)

Burt
icon_smile.gif

Got a response from OMC (distributes Weber in Canada) and the regulator and hose assembly will cost me ~$52 + $10 shipping.

I commented on the brutal price mark-up and they told me Weber dictates the prices that they sell the replacement parts for.

This sucks, I think I will just continue to use the chimney starter like I have been...

Burt
icon_frown.gif

Burt do you have family or friends south of the border? Have them order it and ship it to you. Shipping will probably cost about $10. Check with Weber regarding the size and weight of the regulator and hose assembly package. Then you can go to ups.com or usps.com to get a shipping cost estimate.

JP

Hey Burt I live on Grand Island, which is not far from you. I would be happy to help you out. Send me a PM, and let's see what we can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back