Rec's on cooking my first flank steak?

Clint

TVWBB Olympian
I picked up a flank steak today, 1.42#. I'm planning on just s&p, & hickory, or should I marinate it?

I literally had this tonight! This is my Mom's marinade. I use Tiger Sauce for the hot sauce.

I also cooked it high and fast on my Genesis, not under the broiler.

Joyce's Flank Steak
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe By: Joyce Cutchen
Serving Size: 4

Ingredients:

1 1 3/4 pound flank steak
Marinade:
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 shallot, minced (can substituted 1/4 onion)
1 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1/3 cup ketchup, to 1/2 cup
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
8 drops liquid smoke
2 teaspoons dry mustard
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
hot red pepper sauce

Directions:

Pierce steak to allow marinade to get inside. Put steak in a gallon ziplock and add marinade over steak on both sides. Refigerate at least 4 hours to overnight.

Preheat broiler. Cook 2 to 3 inches below heat for 3 to 4 minutes on each side.

Carve diagonally across the grain into thin slices. Serve on warmed platter.

Suggest serving with sauteed mushrooms.

thanks Steve. I subbed dried minced onion & the marinade tasted pretty good! I free-handed it. I'm planning on grilling it for dinner tomorrow night - probably 20 hours from now.

very good! I'm looking forward to fajitas or quesadillas tonight (I just snuck a bite out of the leftovers as I walked in the door).

Do you cook this as often as tri tip?

I cooked it for ~25 minutes direct @ ~300 (1/3 or 1/2 chimney), pulled it & it was a little more well-done than I'd've liked tri-tip, but I just had to make the outside pretty.

It's a great flavor, definitely a keeper. Now I still have to try flap & flat iron.

I just baked some quesadillas in the oven with the leftover flank, spicy spanish rice, sharp cheddar cheese, sour cream, & my fav habanero sauce. Verrrrrry tasty.

Glad you liked it! It was a staple when I was growing up. It was a bargain beef dinner. Before Momma Ninfa made fajitas so popular, flank steak was almost a throwaway at the grocery store.

I've only tried it with flank. I've never cooked a tri tip.

I'm planning on trying it with skirt steak next. It will be my first skirt steak. My local megamart doesn't carry skirt steak, but my almost local hispanic megamart does. I was there buying veggies and peppers and decided to check out the meat counter. Bingo.

Back