2 tablespoons cumin seeds, Toasted
2 tablespoons oregano
1 tablespoon Anaheim Chili, Dried
1 tablespoon crushed red chiles, dried
3 tablespoons paprika, sweet
3 tablespoons coarse salt
1 tablespoon black peppercorns
2 tablespoons garlic powder

Grind Toasted seeds, chilis, peppercorns in spice grinder. Mix with all other ground spices. I cut down the salt a bit.
Makes about 3/4 cup.

Jane, where to you find dried Anaheim green chiles? Do you dry them yourself? (I don't have a dryer anymore, darn.) I just checked Penzey's and The Spice House and they don't carry any dried green chiles. The Santa Fe School of Cooking does carry powdered green chile but I was hoping to find the pods.

Rita

Rita--

Try Pendery's (look under Capsicums in left column, then scroll through; I believe they have New Mex dried green) and My Spicer (look under Chilies, Crushed and Powdered for diced greens).

Thanks, Kevin. I forgot about Pendery's and didn't know about My Spicer. I'll check them out later today.

Rita

I completely missed this post. I use whatever I have on hand. Many times it is dried guajillos. Other times, I'll put dried reds (japon) in there. I'm sure if you want this spicier, you can switch the ingredients around. You can also toast the chiles first if you prefer.

Yes, I usually do toast my chiles before grinding them too. I like guajillos - your recipe is very flexible - nice.

Thanks, Jane!
Rita

Back