Thermometer

Boy, that's a loaded question around here! My advice is to check the termometer for accuracy in boiling water. If it reads correctly, it's good to go. I only use the lid therm on my WSM and as long as it reads somewhere between 200-275 I'm happy. Follow the Minion method, adjust your vents to 10-25% when you're within 25 degrees of your target temp, and you'll cook up great Q.

My first lid themo in the WSM would not go above 200 in boiling water. In fact it was a bit below 200. I called Weber and they sent me a new one. Tested yesterday in boiling water and it was right on 212 or so. I prefer the Maveric ET 73 tho as it gives temps at the level of the meat and gives internal meat temps. Plus I can look at it on a slow boring day and keep myself amused.

Mark

In my opinion, given the forgiving nature of BBQ, if you stay within the "Smoke Range" you'll be just fine. Test it if you want to.

I just used my new ET-73 last weekend and it was consistently 40F above my lid therm. Conventional wisdom says it should have gone the other way so I'm not sure what to do with that info. I used it for an overnighter so I just used the ET-73 as more of a compass (temps going up or down) when I was away from the WSM.

James

My built-in lid thermometer usually runs about 30 degrees colder than my vent thermometer. That seems to be the typical experience of other WSM owners. I think this has something to do with the airflow through the lid, and the lack of depth from the stem of the built-in thermo.

I've quickly learned that an exact temp is not critical. I like to have a thermometer so I know roughly what my WSM is doing, is it getting hotter or cooler, is it about the same temp as the last time I cooked this meal, etc.

Sorry, as an afterthought I just tested my WSM built-in lid therm and ET-73:

Lid - 212 or close hot. Tough to tell with the steam.
ET-73 Meat Probe - 210 Hot, 33 Cold
Smoker - 212 Hot, 33 Cold

More than close enough IMO.

James

Back