Planning first cook, had some basic questions

Rick (Big Rick)

Heya All
icon_biggrin.gif

First time posting but I’ve long been a fan and a lurker of this site. So I just got my new 22.5 WSM delivered this week and everything looks great! (First real smoker, been doing my best with a camerons stove-top smoker pan, hehe) I am thinking about Sunday as a first smoke and was hoping to do 2 butterflied chickens on the bottom rack as well as 2-3 racks of baby backs on the top, (Heard it was bad to have chicken on the top for dripping/salmonella reasons, etc). So I guess I have a “noob” list of questions for all of you experts out there.

1. I have read that the 22.5 can vary temps/run hot for the first few cooks so I was planning on using water in the pan, for temp stability, is this a bad idea? If not, should it be full? (3 gal seems like a lot)

2. I am roughly estimating about 1 ½ - 3 hours for the chicken and 3-6 hours for the ribs, does that sound roughly accurate? Or am I way off in my timeline?

3. I am planning on using apple wood chunks, (If I can find them), hickory if not. If I find the apple, im planning on 3-4 fist-sized chunks, if hickory I would probably do a chunk or two less. Do you guys think that is too little or too much wood?

4. Lastly, For a cook like this, how would you guys recommend starting/loading the cooker? I was planning on using the minion method, (Just to get experience with it) but am open to suggestions. And Im thinking that it’s better to have too much coal in the ring and not need it, (Can be re-used once the fires out, yes?) then to have to keep opening the door to “feed the beast” so to speak. Is this poor logic? If anyone has any other starting/loading suggestions or tips they are much appreciated
icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks in advance for listening and for all the great info that is on this site! Chris A., Keep up the great work!

- Rick

P.S. – will try and post some pics on Sunday assuming the “Inauguration” goes well
icon_biggrin.gif

Aloha and welcome Rick... Congrats on your acquisition of the 22.5 WSM. Excellent piece of equipment. Your plan sounds good for a first smoke, and it will turn out good so no worries. The time line is pretty close but you will have to use a instant thermometer and learn to cook by temperature.
There are lots of people with tons of info on this forum. Good luck...

joe

You're right about the chicken drippings.

There's nothing *wrong* with using water as long as you're planning on running below 250, it's just that some people prefer not to. When I use water I always fill the pan.

The times sound plausible, but obviously the chicken will be done when it hits the right temp and the ribs when they pass whatever tenderness test you're using.

I'd keep it to 3 apple but I think I go lighter on the wood than some people. I haven't used hickory for a long time so I wouldn't give an exact amount but you're right that it's stronger.

Minion method always works. You will probably have a lot of left over fuel, and if your smoker has a decent seal you should be able to close it and salvage most of it (although some partially burnt fuels hold together better than others). It's possible on a first use before you've built up gunk that you won't have a decent seal and you'll come back in the morning to a bunch of ashes. Only one way to find out! If this concerns you, don't feel like you have to totally fill the ring. The 22" holds a ton of charcoal.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">(Heard it was bad to have chicken on the top for dripping/salmonella reasons, etc </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Commonly heard - but incorrect. As long as both meats are cooked to safe temps placement in the cooker is of no consequence.

Timing will depend on cooktemp.

I prefer less than 1/3 of a chunk for chicken, 3 times that for ribs - which is why I don't cook them together.

I prefer a Minion start as well.

Hello Rick
I don't have the 22 but I have the 18. I don't use water in the pan, I foil. Much easier to clean up and once you adjust the vents you don't have to worry about adding water and temps getting away because your water boiled away. Also more water means more fuel.
Chicken will cook just like you said about 3 hours at 225% - 250% depending on size. Ribs take me about 5 hours with the 3,1,1. 3 hours on the cooking grates, then an hour in foil and the last hour out of foil.
I would do Hickory. Apple is good for chicken but ribs can use a heavy smoke like hickory. 3 to 4 chunks of hickory should be fine. It's all about your taste. Put the chunks on after you put the meat on and use more fuel than less.
After your smoke what ever is left you can use next time. Just close all vents and it will put it self out. Just make sure it doesn't get wet. Meaning after the WSM
wsmsmile8gm.gif
cools down make sure you cover it good incase it rains. What I also do is turn the inside section upside down and then but the top on. The water will run down the out side and not get inside.
Also after you put the meat on and put the wood in don't open the top. Let it smoke!!
Most important HAVE FUN and take a lot of pic's.

Rick, if you are thinking about going clay saucer mod instead of using water, I'd just start with the clay saucer right off the bat.

No need to relearn your vent controls when you switch from water to clay saucer (assuming you were even going to go that route).

It's difficult to find a satisfying clay saucer for the 22". No need to hold off on cooking until finding one, that's for sure!

I don't currently have a 22.5, but I am curious as to what diameter a clay saucer would have to be to sit properly in the water pan.

Well, this is the thing, there have been a bunch of threads on the topic and nobody's really figured that out. From memory - a 16" works OK but doesn't really give you the same kind of dead air space a good fit would. Probably an 18" would be perfect... but as far as I can tell nobody's ever found one. I've been keeping my eye out and haven't found anything larger than the 14" that works on the smaller smoker.

With a 22" if you don't want to use water and want some extra thermal mass I suspect the best thing to do is just foil some fire bricks and be done with it, but you won't get that secondary insulation effect a nicely fitting saucer will.

Hey all
icon_biggrin.gif

Just wanted to post that everything went AMAZING, all the food came out great and the smoker never stuttered from the 250 mark on the thermometer. Can't wait to do it again this weekend
icon_biggrin.gif
Thanks again for all the good advice/helpful folks on this site!
- Rick

Back