Adding Water

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, and welcome to the Bulletin Board!

At the beginning of a cook, with the lid and cooking grates removed, I just pour water into the pan from above using a dedicated 1 gallon gasoline jug. In the middle of a cooking session, I replenish the water every 2-3 hours through the access door. The long plastic spout on the gasoline jug makes it easy to fill the pan this way.

In the past, I've used a 1 gallon milk jug with good results, even through the access door. Others use garden watering cans with long spouts, or 2 litre soda bottles. You can even use a garden hose!

Regards,
Chris

Thanks Chris!

I learned the hard way from my first run....
After pouring out the coals from the chimney, I took my time putting together the rest of the unit...including the water pan.
When I got around to filling the water pan, well, it was pretty hot because a huge plume of steam smacked me as I poured!!!

Live and learn....

BTW, in my first attempt I made some KILLER KILLER KILLER ribs using the techniques I read here. I threw a sausage on for the first two hours for a little appetizer.
...mmmmmmm

Oh yeah, now I see why you were asking. Sounds like a good way to scald your face!
eek.gif

So to be more specific, when I start with a bunch of hot coals in the charcoal ring, I put the water pan in the middle cooking section, then I place the middle cooking section on the charcoal bowl, then immediately fill the pan with water from above as described. This prevents the steam cleaning of any body parts.

If using the Minion Method of firing the cooker, this would not be an issue, since the cooker is not very hot when first assembled.

The k-k-killer ribs sound good, too. Keep at it!

Chris

Check out Dave Stampler's comment in the water pan modification section.

Dave mentions the added water capacity which is critical. Enlarge the photo and you will see that the Brinkman water pan has a flange. The flange seals off the lower uint and directs more energy into the water pan rather than around it with the standard bullet pan.

The benefit is a higher moisture content in the meat. Prolonged cooks of 10-14 hrs and the meat is as juicy as can be and fewer if any refills.

I have gone to the Brinkman coal pan to replace the Weber waterpan so not to have to fool with refilling more than once on the long cooks.

I also have a metalic watering can with an 18 inch long spout that proves excellent for refilling from the door and not having to disturb the meats.

As a suggesting for refilling from the top or filling the water pan at the beginning of the cook you may want to keep the container smaller so you can control the pour. Larger containers can be unweildy and you could end up getting water to spill over into the coals. I have a 2 quart container that works nice.

That is another nice thing about the Brinkman is that it sets stable in the pan support brackets unlike the Weber which sets a little precariously in there making it easy to dump/fall into the coals if not careful.

Hi,

I just want to clarify something mentioned in Steven Gorman's post above regarding the picture showing the Brinkman pan in the WSM. My understanding is that the pan does not fit tight against the wall of the middle cooking section, sealing off the coals from the rest of the cooker. It might look that way in the photo, but that's not the case.

I have not tried this modification myself. Perhaps Alan would be kind enough to measure the distance between the wall and the edge of the pan using both the original and Brinkman and let us know what the difference is, if any.

Regards,
Chris

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Helvetica, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by lewjeff:
What is the recommended way to initially add water to the water pan? How about how to refill it?</font> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I just found out something the hard way this weekend. I was cooking ribs. The temp at lid was reading 240 then it shot up to 260. I burped but it only created more oxygen so when I put the lid back it went to 300. In my desperation I threw ice cubes in the water pan. I went to add cold water but found that I didn't have much room left in the pan and it overflowed and water dripped on the coals sending ashes up. It was an accident that paid off. The temp went down and stayed at 220 the whole time. LOL. But I found out that filling the water pan too high at the beginning doesn't leave much room to fill later if you need to cool down your smoker. You can always pour water on the coals... LOL

[This message has been edited by Chris Allingham (edited 05-01-2001).]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back