Couple noob questions about Summit Platinum B6

Jim Rankin

First off - new here, just want to say hello and I love this message board, very informative.

Saving up for a Summit Platinum B6, family and friends keep giving me Home Depot gift cards for birthday and Christmas. Does Home Deport ever run a sale on Webers???

How would the EZ-Que rotissirie work for that model? Seems to me, you would get flare ups with the way the burners are positioned front to back instead of side to side. I like the cradle method of the E-Z Que. I guess you could always put a drip pan in, but it seems to me it would block some of the heat.

Main thing I am going after is size - I've read some of the posts in here about the 6 burner models, and seems to have a lot more flexibility in cooking. As far as smoking, I will leave that up to my trusty one touch gold. Someday I would love to get a WSM, but my Char-Broil gasser probably only has a year at best before I have to replace burners, flavorizer bars etc. (it's about 7-8 years old right now). So my main objective is to upgrade my propane grill.

At the end of the season I've seen HD reduce the costs some on certain Weber models. I've never seen a Summit at a HD so I imagine they would have to order one for you which they will do. Not likely at a sales price.

I would give EZ Que a call about using their rotis on the Summit. I have the combo set up for the kettle and it is really great.

I've heard very good reports on the Summit and you'll have Weber's backup which is invaluable. I thought seriously about the Summit Plat, but replaced my 12 year old Weber gasser with a Genesis Silver B with PCI grates from HD ... love those grates !

Here's some info on the EZ Que for Summit.

Paul

IMHO. and thats all it is.
The Plat B6 is a nice grill. That's all it is. You can entertain a hellava crowd with one. We have a cookout here every friday and we use a Plat A4 and a Gen Sil B to cook for over 150 people (all day long) We do have a Plat D6 out there but never use it as we don't need that much space. If I was going for that size of grill I would use the C6 or D6 just for more bells and whistles. Indirect cooking is nice with the 6 burners because if you need less heat you just use the 1st and 6th burners on high. If you need more heat you can use the 1st, 2nd, 5th, amd 6th burners on low or med. It is nice if you are cooking like 8 whole chickens or 4 whole turkeys to just use the first and sixth burners on high.

My 20 cents worth is -
When talking to potential buyers I ask - How many do you cook for normally, how many do you cook for on special occasions. What type of cooking do you do now? What type of cooking do you want to try? How often do you BBQ, how often will you BBQ if you had one that would meet all your needs for now and the future? Do you want to be able to cook everything outside? How much area do you have to hold the BBQ, is it under cover? Do you want a quality product that will last?
After you answer all these questions, match the answers to the specs for the different summit models, taking into account Joe's comments about temps using burners 1 & 6 or 1,2,5 & 6 (he is spot on with that). You will probably find that you need to save a few more pennies and buy the D6. Anyone who has one will tell you that although they don't use all the bells and whistles all the time they are glad that they have them when they need them and that they add another dimension to their culinary repertoire.
Now I know that this will cause some discussion with the WSM purists and they will be correct in their comments, however - Whilst the smoke flavour that you are used to comes from a Kettle and is best from a WSM, with practice, you can add a milder smoke flavour with the smoker box on a summit. The smoke ring will not be as deep and the temps may be a bit higher and or harder to control but - it can be done (until you get the WSM)
At the end of the day the Summit D6 gives you the best versatility by far.

Enjoy.

Thanks guys for the input -

You put some good points out there when considering a grill. I manage a butcher shop and live next to it. I grill out year round (even in chilly Michigan winters) - and just for example I have grilled out the last 5 out of 7 nights. I cook often for my crew at the meat market, but after reading your guys posts I wonder if the D4 might be ok for my needs - as normally the most people I would cook for would be about 20-30, plus I can always fire up the kettle for backup if I needed it.I just wish I could see the Summit models in person - our local HD only has the Genesis models set up, and I'm pretty sure if indirect cooking - Summit is the way to go.

As far as smoking goes - you guys have given me some great ideas - we have a commercial Vortron smokehouse in our shop, and in fact as I am typing this I am smoking a brisket, couple slabs baby ribs, and a couple whole chickens. Normally we just use our smoker for doing sausage, smoking hams, bellies picnics etc. I never really thought of being able to BBQ in it - but I don't see why not. I will post pics of the food when it comes out - just for comparison.

Thanks for the input Paul, Joe and Phil - gave me some good stuff to chew over.

I have the Summit C-4. I wish I had sprung for the D-6 for more space, but more importantly for the latter's flexibility. As Mr. Osbourne notes you can modulate the temps more easily for the D-6. Also, when doing a brisket you can maintain very low temps by using burners 1 and 6 or the smoker burner and burner 6. While you may never cook to the capacity of the grill area, in my opinion greater control of temps plus the ability of having distinctly different temps at different areas of the grill makes it worth to go for the big kahona.

I can keep a steady lid temp of 250 with burners 1 and 6 turned low on my D6. If I fire up all six to high the lid goes off the scale and I'm probably over 700.

Back