Avocado salsa

Kyle H.

TVWBB Fan
Since it will probably be a long while before I can post any advice on how to smoke/bbq I figured I would contribute by posting one of my favorite and most requested recipes. The flavors I really love in this salsa are red onion, cilantro, and lime so for those of you who may not love those flavors as much as I do may wish to reduce them a bit.

Avocado Salsa:

1 can, 14 ounces, black beans, rinsed and drained
2 cups frozen corn kernels
1 avocado carved, pitted, and diced
3/4 red onion, chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
4 teaspoons hot sauce (this is just a guess I never measure it. My patented hot sauce combo is just the right amount of Frank's Original and Sriracha)
1 cup roughly chopped cilantro
1 lime, juiced
2 tablespoons vegetable or olive oil (again this is just a guess, I just run it around the bowl a few times)
Salt and pepper to taste

I like to use a lot of hot sauce. I'm a huge fan of spicy. I will however note that with the amount of hot sauce and olive oil in the dish it can get a tad liquidy at the bottom. I've never had any complaints about this, but if you're a stickler for these types of things you may want to substitute in a few of your peppers of choice seeded and chopped instead of the hot sauce.

Edit: I just realized I didn't give any directions... even though there aren't any really. Just throw all of the ingredients into a bowl. No need to defrost the corn since the frozen kernels will keep the salsa cool before serving. I usually add the avocado right before serving to prevent browning. I hope you all enjoy this as much as my friends and I have.

We make this same salsa and it is always a crowd pleaser. In our version we substitute 1-2 Tbs red wine vinegar for the hot sauce. Also, you can make this a day or two in advance but if you do save the avocado until it is time to serve it.

Back