Charcoal

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Usually I use Kingsford as that seems to be the choice of most.

What about Royal Oak ? It seems to be all over the place at pretty reasonable prices. Anyone had any experience with it or am I just being "anal" ?

Steve in Mpls
( First Brisket tommorrow )

I have not used Royal Oak, but have talked with those that do, and they say it's a very good product, equivalent to Kingsford, maybe just a bit hotter. Why don't you give it a try, then post your critique here?
smile.gif

Steve,

My neighbors bought me about 500 tons of the Royal Oak Chef Select for Xmas. I am NOT very impressed!! The longest burn time I can eke out is only about 7 hours!! Also, doesn't seem to burn as hot.

I will go back to Kingsford in a heart beat!

Stogie

Thanks Chris and Stogie.

I'm going to stick with Kingsford. Sounds like Stogies neighbors must have leveled a mountain somewhere.

Just took my brisket off after 6 hours at 167 degrees. It's already at 177 in the oven in foil and smells WONDERFUL.

When I took it off, it looked like Chris' picture at the turn, just beautiful.

My assumption is that it will look like a meteorite after it comes out of the oven.

My wife, who is not a barbeque fan , is really drooling over the smell of this baby. I had a bunch of BRITU rub left, so I used it...I hope it worke out and will let you know.

Man, I'm getting hungry smelling that hunk o' meat.

Steve in Mpls

The Brisket was wonderful.

It went about 6 lbs and I smoked it for 6 hours and then it went in the oven for about an hour in foil.

We used the flat for dinner and put the point/crown in the oven for another 45 minutes.

I was expecting something like a butt from the crown, from what I had heard, but it sliced up real nice, albeit a little more fat than the flat.

The BRITU rub worked great and the ring was 1/8-1/4.

I think its time to go to the gym....

Steve

Chris,

The Chef Select is regular briquets. I should explain that my neighbors bought me a bunch for Xmas. This is to prime the pumps for this coming summer!! I cook almost every weekend and with 9 hours per cook, charcoal does get expensive!! So, the neighborhood helps me out a little!

Stogie

Steve,

Glad to hear that the brisket came out OK!!

Of course, I thought I had stumbled on to the "Oven cooking" Forum???? You finished the brisket WHERE?????? next question.....WHY?????

Just kidding ya Steve!! That's an old KC BBQ Forum joke..whenever someone finishes the Q in an oven....they catch lots of flack!!

Anyway, a brisket is one tough hombre!! I have smoked those things for up to 18 hours. Got to let it sit overnight in the smoker. I use about 2 hours per pound when cooking one of those boys.

Glad you came out OK!!

Stogie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back