DIGIQ II Problem

Ed Cardoza

TVWBB Pro
Hey gang, I purchased my DIGIQ II a few months ago and hadn't had any problems with it what so ever until now. My last two cooks have been a real pain in the behind. I have been going with the MM on a full bowl of Kingsford and three pieces of sugar maple and a couple of red oak. On both cooks, it was a struggle to get the temp up to the set point. Once it got there it would drop until I opened one of the bottom vents. Then I had to keep an eye on it until it stablized, which took up to 3.5 hours. The way I have always done it was shut down all the vents except the top, and then it was opened just slightly. Yesterday and also on Friday I had to have all of them open and then adjust as I went along, it was almost like not even having a power draft system at all. Has anyone experienced this problem with theirs, or could it be a probe issue? I frankly just don't know, and I have a graduation party to cook for this weekend, and then Larry's big party the next weekend and really don't want any issues to deal with other than hopefully running out of good BBQ.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ed Cardoza:
Hey gang, I purchased my DIGIQ II a few months ago and hadn't had any problems with it what so ever until now. My last two cooks have been a real pain in the behind. I have been going with the MM on a full bowl of Kingsford and three pieces of sugar maple and a couple of red oak. On both cooks, it was a struggle to get the temp up to the set point. Once it got there it would drop until I opened one of the bottom vents. Then I had to keep an eye on it until it stablized, which took up to 3.5 hours. The way I have always done it was shut down all the vents except the top, and then it was opened just slightly. Yesterday and also on Friday I had to have all of them open and then adjust as I went along, it was almost like not even having a power draft system at all. Has anyone experienced this problem with theirs, or could it be a probe issue? I frankly just don't know, and I have a graduation party to cook for this weekend, and then Larry's big party the next weekend and really don't want any issues to deal with other than hopefully running out of good BBQ. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Ed, a couple things come to mind. Did the air deflector inside the charcoal bowl get turned? It should be pointing straight down towards the bottom of the bowl. And is your damper wide open on the fan? Also check and make sure the mount for the Digi didn't slide down in the vent hole and you only have partial air going in through the vent hole. And make sure that there's not any blockage of wet ash or such in the hole or air deflector. Mine was pretty gunked up. Just took it apart and cleaned it 2 weeks ago.

I did a cook this weekend with my Digi-Q II and had no problems. My last cook I had the opposite problem to Ed (temps too high). I found that my vents were loose and they kept opening (bottom). This cook I started with less fuel for the MM (only 10). I went 16 hours with temps between 230-236. There was plenty of lump left for a few more hours.

What was in your water pan? I use 5 layers of crumpled (then uncrumpled) foil and then a layer of foil over the top.

The fan slide seems like the likely culprit. Mine used to work it's way closed from time to time.

MikeZ

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ed Cardoza:
Hey gang, I purchased my DIGIQ II a few months ago and hadn't had any problems with it what so ever until now. My last two cooks have been a real pain in the behind. I have been going with the MM on a full bowl of Kingsford and three pieces of sugar maple and a couple of red oak. On both cooks, it was a struggle to get the temp up to the set point. Once it got there it would drop until I opened one of the bottom vents. Then I had to keep an eye on it until it stablized, which took up to 3.5 hours. The way I have always done it was shut down all the vents except the top, and then it was opened just slightly. Yesterday and also on Friday I had to have all of them open and then adjust as I went along, it was almost like not even having a power draft system at all. Has anyone experienced this problem with theirs, or could it be a probe issue? I frankly just don't know, and I have a graduation party to cook for this weekend, and then Larry's big party the next weekend and really don't want any issues to deal with other than hopefully running out of good BBQ. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Ed, a couple things come to mind. Did the air deflector inside the charcoal bowl get turned? It should be pointing straight down towards the bottom of the bowl. And is your damper wide open on the fan? Also check and make sure the mount for the Digi didn't slide down in the vent hole and you only have partial air going in through the vent hole. And make sure that there's not any blockage of wet ash or such in the hole or air deflector. Mine was pretty gunked up. Just took it apart and cleaned it 2 weeks ago. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Bryan, I think you are spot on. When I dumped the ashes prior to Friday's cook, I may have got the fan assembly pretty dirty. I will take it off and clean it and see how she goes from there.

Bryan, I think you are spot on. When I dumped the ashes prior to Friday's cook, I may have got the fan assembly pretty dirty. I will take it off and clean it and see how she goes from there. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Ed, make sure you look through the mount into the smaller vent hole to make sure that didn't drop down. I had that happen to me once. The little air vent tab hole is pretty small and if the mount drops down, it really restricts the air flow into the charcoal bowl.

Bryan, I just went outside to check it and sure enough the darn vent had gotten turned, so it wasn't even getting any air from the fan blower, so I took the time to clean really good since I was taking it apart anyway. Thanks for the heads up.

Bryan, I just went outside to check it and sure enough the darn vent had gotten turned, so it wasn't even getting any air from the fan blower, so I took the time to clean really good since I was taking it apart anyway. Thanks for the heads up. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Glad you found it Bud.
icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike Zarecky:
I did a cook this weekend with my Digi-Q II and had no problems. My last cook I had the opposite problem to Ed (temps too high). I found that my vents were loose and they kept opening (bottom). This cook I started with less fuel for the MM (only 10). I went 16 hours with temps between 230-236. There was plenty of lump left for a few more hours.
Mike I never use the water pan other than to catch the drippings. As I just mentioned to Bryan (I see now where you said the same thing), the darn vent had gotten closed somehow and there just wasn't any air getting through. It's good to know that others have been through this and are so helpful. Thanks again Mike...

What was in your water pan? I use 5 layers of crumpled (then uncrumpled) foil and then a layer of foil over the top.

The fan slide seems like the likely culprit. Mine used to work it's way closed from time to time.

MikeZ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
Bryan, I just went outside to check it and sure enough the darn vent had gotten turned, so it wasn't even getting any air from the fan blower, so I took the time to clean really good since I was taking it apart anyway. Thanks for the heads up. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Glad you found it Bud.
icon_cool.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

that makes two of us, or actually three of us. Now my wife doesn't have to listen to m e complain about it. We're getting ready to pull the plug on another WSM. So this will help getter dun...

Back