Rub for 40 briskets

Paul K

TVWBB Guru
I'm cooking between 40 and 80 briskets this weekend...no not on the WSM, but between 2 or 3 large pits/smokers. In the past the guys usually just salt and pepper them, but I think I'll do up a rub. Not sure what recipe I'll do, I've got to check to see what's already been purchased and go from there. There does seem to be a fair amount of white pepper available. How does white pepper hold up on the longer cooks and is there an appreciable difference between it and the black when used as a brisket rub? I may do a Salt Lick variation; salt, pepper, onion and garlic powder, cayenne, maybe some thyme. But in general, if you were to rub 40 briskets, what sort of volume would you recommend mixing up? Right now I'm thinking of about 15 cups for 40.

It would be helpful if you could say a few things about what else is on the menu and what sauces will be served with the brisket. Anything seasonal right now that would work well in a sauce?

Sorry, should have mentioned this. No menu with this cook, just selling briskets as a fund raiser. I'm just trying to produce a little better product, not that the other sales have been bad.

15 c for 40 works for me--but this doesn't include the salt, which I do separately.

White pepper holds up well. For beef I'd recommend 2:1 white to black pepper.

Consider ground clove, 1/4 t per c. It's not identifiable at this level but it really supports roasted beef volatiles.

Consider ground ginger at 1/2 t per c; same reason.

Definitely go with the thyme. Consider marjoram as well: 1/4 of the thyme amount--use 1/3, though, if including a flavorful chile (not cayenne or paprika).

Kevin,

No paprika for me. I'll check on the clove and ginger; I think there's some already in the kitchen I'll be using. Heading out this afternoon to make sure Sysco delivered the brisket, mix up the rub and pull the mobile smoker over by the large pit.

Thanks,

Paul

Went with what was on hand: salt, white and black pepper, granulated onion and garlic, thyme and some ancho chili powder. They smelled great; haven't heard any feedback yet on how they tasted. Had a lot of compliments on the aroma while they cooked. There was a model train show going on during the smoke.

Back