novice question about foodvac/sealer

Nate L

TVWBB Member
I know people out here love the food sealers for leftover BBQ, but i'm wondering how they do with other things. (I'm looking at the foodvac or food saver style--not the more expensive "chamber" sealers.) I've read that they don't work well with liquids and I'm wondering specifically about fruit. I'm guessing that blueberries would seal well; how about strawberries, or peaches? How about tomatoes? I've read that some people do a quick freeze with some food before sealing. I live in northern Vermont (and have many blueberry bushes)--I try to freeze what I can when it's local and fresh and am hoping that a food vacuum will help with freezer life and the quality of preservation...
thanks!

They work great for everything you mention. Delicate items easily crush so scatter them on a parchment-lined tray, freeze till firm, then vac and seal being careful not to overdo the vac step.

If liquid is minimal and the bag size is generous I have no problems. When either of the opposites is true I fill the bag (leaving sufficient room on top) and freeze upright before removing, vac'ing and sealing.

They are great for sauces (I always freeze Q sauces, homemade ketchups, hot sauces, etc.) and almost any imaginable leftover.

We have had a food saver for many years; we use it almost daily.... I think you will too.... IMHO it is a must have appliance.....

I got a foodsaver for Birthday a few weeks ago and am hopin to start using.
We eat out too much due to busy sports chedule with kids and crazy work schedules.
Thinking of smoking some big batches of food and saving for weeknights kick reheat and presto meal is ready.

Would greatly appreciate any tips from anyone else who does this. I assume it is easier to cut up pork shoulder and briskets and save in meal size packets to reheat.

What about freezing vs. refrigerating? (I think there are guidelines in the user guide for recommended number of days before using etc.)
I am cooking for a big party and may do pork shoulder's before hand. Any tips on reheating a 7-8 shoulder?

Looking forward to hearing others experiences.

The food saver is amazing for storing full racks of ribs. When I want to reheat, I just take out a few hours before and reheat on the BBQ or I can take them straight from the freezer and drop then in a pot of hot water.

With brisket, I freeze the extra juices in a ice cube tray and drop one or two in food saver bags along with single servings of sliced brisket. Just drop in a boiling pot of water to warm up.

I bought my first foodsaver about 10 years ago and wore it out. I'm on #2 now. I pack so much I need another freezer.
Not just for freezing food, I buy bean coffee in bulk sometimes and vacuum pack all but what I will use in a week.
When you travel you can pack clothing and save a LOT of room in the luggage.

Stuff will stay good forever in the freezer when packed. I Found a rib eye in the bottom of the freezer that had been in there 5 years.
icon_razz.gif
When I cooked that bad boy it was just like I had bought it that day.

They are great for marinating. Put your marinade and meat in a flat pan or dish and vacuum it. The vacuum will pull the marinade deep into the meat and shorten the time by half or better.

Chuck

Back