Need a new frying pan. Recommend one please.

Joseph C

TVWBB Fan
The one my wife uses has got to go. I need one that is suitable for frying the chops..etc. Amazon would be ok with me to order unless a local department store would be good. Thanks.

I find I need at least a few frying pans for different purposes. For chops, I'd recommend an anodized aluminum model or stainless steel. Actual size is basically up to you and how comfortable it is for you to use. These will give you better browning effects (as opposed to non-stick) on your meat. For things like eggs, a traditional non-stick model is what I prefer. For the anodized or stainless models, I'd recommend manufacturers such as All Clad or Calphalon; they build quality products that last. For the non-stick, a less expensive brand is usually fine as the non-stick surface will only last so long.

Paul

yup, agreed Paul. I really like cast iron too, and use it whenever I can, and then some, but not always a good option for all things. I can't figure out how one brand could be better then another (cast iron), and have had good luck w/ inexpensive ones, but ...i know nothing about nothing,
icon_wink.gif
. That should be my signiture! I always feel like that.

I recently went through this/am going through this...

Bought from Amazon Scanpan Classic Ceramic Titanium 12-1/2-Inch Fry Pan (ad: no bad chemicals); working out 'ok' although the jury is still out; not as true flat as I'd like (frying); But not changing color, etc. with high heat ($80.); very impressive for no oil/butter cooking...

Also bought Anolon Titanium French Skillet ($50) and it has held up pretty well - better than the Cuisnart stuff and stands up ok to dishwasher...

Like iron too but is a PITA for day in/day out.

Here's how I roll:

griswold cast iron is always on the hob ready to go. Older cast iron is a bit nicer because back in the day they sandblasted the interior so its super smooth. You can see you reflection in my griswold. I like to keep it on the hob because its heavy, it likes to be used, and its a super easy to clean. The downside is it take a bit to preheat, you just got to remember to turn it on before you start prepping.

For eggs and such, I have a couple calphalon and anolon teflons. I like them because they are nice and heavy adonized aluminum. We probably over paid for them since teflon pans shouldn't be considered as lifetime investments. By its very nature (what makes it work) teflon's powers are fleeting. Buy cheap ones and expect to replace them every couple of years.

For serious browning (pan fried steaks) with stove-to-oven capability, I break out the big dog, a J A Henckles Classic Clad 13" frying pan. It doesn't look like Amazon stocks it anymore, but this thing is a beast and I can't figure out why more people aren't into it since its as nice as allclad and half the price. The nice part about this beast, is if you bring it home and the wife hates it and decides to hit you with it, she probably won't be able to swing it very far.

there ya go with the better/older model comparison of cast iron's, I never knew. The sandblasting sounds really nice. thanks J.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Older cast iron is a bit nicer because back in the day they sandblasted the interior so its super smooth </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
j,

Thanks for the info. I always wondered why my mom's old cast iron pan was so smooth. I have it now (she passed on 12 years ago) and it has been in the family now for almost 60 years.

I also have an assortment of pans from Caphalon to stainless stel to Scanpan. My Scanpans are some of my favorites even though they ar not "non-stick" as they advertise.

As others have recommended, get different pans for different purposes.

Ray

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Thanks for the info. I always wondered why my mom's old cast iron pan was so smooth. I have it now (she passed on 12 years ago) and it has been in the family now for almost 60 years. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I could be 60 years of bacon grease.
icon_wink.gif

I can't confirm the source, but when I was doing research on cast iron pop-over pans, I read some talk about shopping at antique stores since modern stuff lacked the finish due to omission of the sandblasting step.

I know there's a big difference between the griswold pan and my modern lodge dutch oven, inside and out. I can only assume its the sandblasting.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by joseph c:
The one my wife uses has got to go. I need one that is suitable for frying the chops..etc. Amazon would be ok with me to order unless a local department store would be good. Thanks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Link for you on the subject.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by j biesinger:
Here's how I roll:

griswold cast iron is always on the hob ready to go. Older cast iron is a bit nicer because back in the day they sandblasted the interior so its super smooth. You can see you reflection in my griswold. I like to keep it on the hob because its heavy, it likes to be used, and its a super easy to clean. The downside is it take a bit to preheat, you just got to remember to turn it on before you start prepping.

For eggs and such, I have a couple calphalon and anolon teflons. I like them because they are nice and heavy adonized aluminum. We probably over paid for them since teflon pans shouldn't be considered as lifetime investments. By its very nature (what makes it work) teflon's powers are fleeting. Buy cheap ones and expect to replace them every couple of years.

For serious browning (pan fried steaks) with stove-to-oven capability, I break out the big dog, a J A Henckles Classic Clad 13" frying pan. It doesn't look like Amazon stocks it anymore, but this thing is a beast and I can't figure out why more people aren't into it since its as nice as allclad and half the price. The nice part about this beast, is if you bring it home and the wife hates it and decides to hit you with it, she probably won't be able to swing it very far. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll ditto on the Griswold (or Wagner for that matter) vintage cast iron. Lighter and much higher quality than you find today. I wouldn't buy anything out there except maybe Lodge being made today. Even if it has a famous chef's name on it. I have about 5 old Griswold skillets with covers, and an old cast iron chef's skillet. They were not sand blasted to get that finish though, they were ground on the insides. You can still see the grinding marks. They used special tooling to do the grinding. They also used to use jewlers grade sand in the molds and a higher grade cast iron that you get today (90% CI cookware today is from China). This gave them an outstanding overall thinnes and light weight by comparison. Plus a very nice fine finish on the outside and bottom Lodge will work well and they are still made in the US.

I also have some Calphalon 10 and 12 non stick hard anodized aluminum that are just great, and a 14" all clad anodized aluminum, which is nice but I like the handles on the Calphalon better.

I have a couple old clad ss higher end revere's that aren't made anymore that I use as well.

When I'm not doing a lot of flipping or tossing, I really enjoy using the Griswold skillets. If you do buy some old CI skillets, be careful as it's easy to over pay if you don't know what you're buying. If you're not collecting you can buy smart and not spend a ton of money. Griswold also made pans for Sears, Wards and other companies so there are lots of options.

If you want to learn more or get advice on picking up some vintage cast iron this site has a wealth of information even if you don't become a member. Folks on the forums are very helpful and knowledgeable. Not that hard, but you do need to understand how to care for an properly season cast iron cookware.

Wagner and Griswold Society

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">They were not sand blasted to get that finish though, they were ground on the insides. You can still see the grinding marks. They used special tooling to do the grinding. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

thanks for the correction. I wasn't totally convinced of the sandblasting, grinding makes more sense. I couldn't figure out why lodge would skip this seemingly easy (and cheap) step if it made such a difference.

I've heard good things about Debuyer Carbone plus pans. I don't have one, but I'm considering purchasing one since they are relatively inexpensive. I do have a high carbon steel wok that is well seasoned and operates as good if not better than teflon. I can only imagine how much fun I could have with similar pan.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by j biesinger:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">They were not sand blasted to get that finish though, they were ground on the insides. You can still see the grinding marks. They used special tooling to do the grinding. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

thanks for the correction. I wasn't totally convinced of the sandblasting, grinding makes more sense. I couldn't figure out why lodge would skip this seemingly easy (and cheap) step if it made such a difference.

I've heard good things about Debuyer Carbone plus pans. I don't have one, but I'm considering purchasing one since they are relatively inexpensive. I do have a high carbon steel wok that is well seasoned and operates as good if not better than teflon. I can only imagine how much fun I could have with similar pan. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Joe - correct Lodge had to stop doing that finishing/tooling to stay competetive. Lodge still makes good quality though, just don't have those mirror/smooth surfaces on the intereior. Still way better than the Chinese imports though. Also note that Lodge still uses quality iron to do their castings where China is using scrap metal that is not being checked well for impurities like lead, etc AFA I've been informed. Lodge may not have the extremely smooth surface, but they come pre-seasoned and I have heard good things about them.

Older lodge is out there too though with the old style machining and quality for much less than Griswold typically.

FYI/FWIW I used a die grinder and a "Non Woven" AKA scotchbrite abrasive pad and smoothed my own Lodge pans didn't take long and the work great.

I'm a bit late replying (just joing to board) but I say head to a local restaurant supply store and get your pans there. These are commercial quality, meant to last years with heavy use... you can pick up a 10" one for $10, and the prices so up (slowly) from there. I haven't had much luck with Calphalon.

cheers,
MarkP

We (my wife and I) have three Lodge fry pans (in different sizes) that we use ALL the time. They all started out unseasoned, but after years of use are all smooth and well blackened. They are literally our ONLY frying pans!

We also have a few other Lodge items and all are TOP quality compared to what is offered today... especially at the price!

I picked up a two-pack of Calphalon pans at Bed, Bath & Beyond with a 20% coupon for like $35. These bad boys rock! I use them for everything and I cook every day. They will go into the oven, clean up very easily, and they're solid. Aside from them, the only others I use are cast and nothing holds heat better.

Back in the day there were a ton of foundries turning out quality cast iron, Sears even had their own brand. It was thinner than anything cast today because back then it was cast by hand not machine. Nothing beats scoring a quality classic for a few bucks at a rummage sale. Just be warned it can get addictive.

Once you cooked with a quality cast iron skillet nothing at any prices available today compares. It will with care work for centuries as many pieces still in use today have done.

For deglazing working I use copy of allclad that is no longer available from Costco.

Back