Sugar-free sweet creamy coleslaw (bubba-approved)

Keri C

TVWBB Wizard
I had a request to post my sugar-free sweet creamy coleslaw on the recipe board, so here it is. Served with brisket, pulled pork, and baked beans, it was given the A-OK by honorable husband Robert. And he's a PICKY fella about his coleslaw. Gotta start watching things when doc says "high blood sugar", ya know...

* Exported from MasterCook *

Coleslaw - Sweet, Creamy & Sugar-free

Recipe By : Keri Cathey
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Salads Slaw

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 lb shredded cabbage -- to 1 1/2 lb
--or 1 bag slaw mix
2 carrots -- shredded
1/4 small red onion -- shredded, optional
--Dressing
1/2 cup mayonnaise, light -- to 3/4 cup
11 packets Splenda sweetener
2 Tbs cider vinegar
1/2 tsp tabasco sauce -- Chipotle, optional
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp celery seeds -- optional

Blend dressing ingredients well, and mix with vegetables. Refrigerate at least 1 hour.

This recipe originally used 1/2 cup sugar. I had heard many good things about the taste of Splenda sweetener, so I thought I'd give it a shot in this. Since each packet = 2 teaspoons sugar, I ciphered thusly:

1/2 cup sugar = 4/8 cup = 4 x 2 Tbs = 8 Tbs = 8 x 3 tsp = 24 tsp / 2 = 12 packets to equal 1/2 cup sugar. I miscounted and only used 11 packets, but that was PLENTY sweet. Bubba-tested and approved.

Keri C, bbq list 5-17-2003

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Splenda is da bomb. We use it for a vinegar-oil based slaw. Although, to be considered a really sugar-free recipe, the carrots have to go (darn). The latest edition of the SugarBusters book has lightened up a little on raw-carrots-in-moderation, so maybe I can cut it back to a half a carrot or so. Will have to ask the wife to get a ruling from the SB authors-- they're on staff at the hospital she works at. /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif Also, use regular mayonnaise-- the "light" version-- check it out-- actually has more grams of sugar per serving.

Thanks for the recipe... and the cipherin'.

Doug, please post back what your wife finds out, and I'll modify this recipe here on the board and in my files. I made it up, so I can change it. <grin>

We're just starting to deal with this high sugar situation, so all advice is appreciated!

Keri C
Smokin' on Tulsa Time

She says the new book is kinda vague, but my impression is, when they say a little bit of carrot is alright, they mean you can stop picking the carrot out of your tossed salad. I'm thinking that about the ratio that comes in the prepackaged salad mix is OK.

I made the slaw today, but I used a package of broccoli slaw instead. Came out really good. I wanted to be sure I didn't over-sweeten, so I started out with four packet of Splenda. It ended up being plenty sweet for me. I must point out, however, that we have been eating low/no sugar here for several years, so things you don't even think of as being sweet-- peanut butter, for example-- taste like drinking honey to me.

Oh, and luckily the Sunday paper had a sample 1 oz. pack of Tabasco Chipotle. I put a half tablespoon in a cup of my homemade sauce, and wow! You are right about that stuff.

Thanks Keri...

I have high blood sugar and this looks great to me ... It's hard to eat BBQ and not have a good cole slaw ... I'm adding your recipe to my note book right now and trying it out tonight..

Thanks again and cheers!!

bugg /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Bill, if you already have a favorite slaw recipe, try just substituting Splenda for the sugar. Your sweet tooth where slaw is concerned may not be as ...uh... developed as ours is. <big grin> My husband's doctor informed him of a blood sugar level of 180 a few weeks ago, so we're trying to be very good. No sugar, no refined flour, the whole nine yards. The homemade biscuits and yeast rolls are missed the most, I think. /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Ah well - better to miss a few biscuits than have to take another pill, or worse.

Warmest regards -

Keri C
Smokin on Tulsa Time, with a low-sugar attitude

Hi Everyone,
Just a thought, I have gotten really fat these past few years and started the Atkins Diet several weeks ago. 20 pounds and dropping plus the diet is supposed to lower Cholestrol (is that how it's spelled?) also Triglycerides, and blood sugar because you starve the body of carbohydrates and sugar. The coleslaw sounds really good, but how do you all eat BBQ if the sauce uses Sugar? Do you sub in Splenda for sugar or do you just eat the BBQ and figure the amount of sauce you are eating really does not contribute that much sugar to affect you. According to the diet you can eat as much pork, beef, chicken, turkey, fish and seafood because most don't or have very little carbohydrates, you can't eat Carbohydrates or sugar products like Rice, Potatos, Bread, Rolls, or Sweets like desserts. Would like your thoughts on this, cause I like BBQ, and Teriyaki, Sweet & Sour for my meats.... Just a thought... mattD

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mattD:
[qb] ...the diet is supposed to lower Cholestrol (is that how it's spelled?) also Triglycerides, and blood sugar because you starve the body of carbohydrates and sugar... ...how do you all eat BBQ if the sauce uses Sugar?[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>You're not actually starving the body of those substances, you're trying to avoid a particular hormonal response to them. When you consume a meal, sugar and carbohydrates-- which the body quite handily converts to sugar-- cause an increase in blood-sugar (glucose) levels. The body's response to this is to release insulin. A little-known side-effect of insulin is to signal the body to store fat.

Another hormone your body produces is called glucagon. Glucagon can, under the right circumstances, promote the mobilization of previously stored fat, but it is heavily supressed by-- you guessed it-- glucose!

Therefore, if you eliminate the consumption of sugar with other foods, and keep your intake of carbohydrates low, the insulin effect is foiled.

Atkins is very strict in that it reduces your carb intake as low as possible. Other low carb/no sugar diets prescribe that your carb intake be only complex carbohydrates, the theory being that it takes the body more time to break these down and, therefore, your blood-sugar doesn't spike high enough to cause much insulin to be released.

Congrats on your 20 pounds. These diets usually produce such results early on. You can expect positive changes in cholesterol. Beware, though, not to fall into the trap of eating as much "legal" foods as you want. Also remember that no diet without exercise will keep the weight off you.

A far as sauce goes, I mix up my own with no-sugar-added ketchup as a base, and sweeten with Splenda for pork.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> "...but how do you all eat BBQ if the sauce uses Sugar?" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Well, now, dah'lin, (she said, in her native Okie drawl backed up by 300 years of South Carolina low country lineage) I just make my Q good enough that you don't need sauce, other than maybe some dribblin's of a nice peppery vinegar on the pulled pork. <big ol' silly grin>

Seriously, though, Matt, you might give this sauce a try. It's a functional base that I found and have made a few times, doctoring it up differently each time.

Keri's Experimental Sugar Free Barbecue Sauce

1 can tomato paste (6 oz)
1 onion, finely minced & sauted
1 cup water
1/4 cup cider vinegar
2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbsp Chipotle-style Tabasco sauce (optional, to taste - GOOD STUFF)
1 tbsp. dry mustard
1 tbsp. chili powder
2 packets Splenda (or more, to your taste)
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp seasoned salt (optional)

Mix ingredients in blender or whisk together if you like it chunky, then simmer for at least 20 minutes, adding a bit more water and vinegar if it's too thick for your tastes. Pour into a glass container and refrigerate to keep fresh. Use as table sauce. Adjust seasonings to suit your own taste. If you know of a good brown sugar substitute, I think that might be a good addition.

To make the sauce even better, put the pot in your smoker for a while with no lid on it to give it some smoke.

No guarantees that it'll look like this the next time I make it, but there it is. As usual, your mileage may vary...

Keri Cathey
Smokin on Tulsa Time

My quick-and-dirty version:

1 cup no-sugar-added ketchup (Estee brand)
1 T. Worcestershire sauce
1 t. fine black pepper
1 T. lemon juice OR apple cider vinegar
1 t. Liquid Smoke (optional)
1 t. Tabasco (optional)

Tweak with whatever else floats your boat-- garlic, onion, Splenda, etc.

Back