Venison front shoulder?

Ivan Stratton

TVWBB Fan
I'm going camping this weekend and my father in laws friend got a deer. He got two front shoulders. If I had time maybe jerky. I'm taking my WSM. I have lots other cooking equipment. What should I attempt?

Those front shoulders may be too lean to render any fat and stay moist on the WSM......have never tried but my guess is that it wont be really very good.
I love jerky made with the front shoulder....tough meat is super good for jerky.
A good campfire dish would be to do a slow stew with venison chunks in a dutch oven with a rich brown gravy, onions, carrots. Good camping cuisine.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Morrey Thomas:
A good campfire dish would be to do a slow stew with venison chunks in a dutch oven with a rich brown gravy, onions, carrots. Good camping cuisine. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll second that

Kev

I agree with making stew too the fro t shoulder has many muscle groups that I have found that trying to make a large cut of meAt is tough and chewy. I have spent time before hand before I went to cooking it a few days to soak in ice water for three days sliced in fajita size strips cutting away visible outside muscle groups then marinate for a day. The upshot is that the fajita size strips can be used in jerky too.

If anyone knows the specifics in rendering down the shoulder to a pull,shred state please I'd like to know too.

Stew is a great idea but I'm making pot roast as one of the meals (pot roast ala stogie). I think my plan now is to cube it, marinade it, skewer it and cook it on our grill rack we have that goes over the open fire. It will be a good afternoon snack if it comes out ok.

Back