Cullman, AL Oktoberfest BBQ Challenge

What's the date Robert? I may be judging. If not, I may cook with some friends, if they are going to be there.

Pat

we had a great time at this cook and cant wait for this cook next year.... we finished 4th in ribs and 14th in chicken...7th overall

here are some pics....

my rig!!!
2011-10-07_08-15-28_716.jpg

our set up
2011-10-07_13-45-30_349.jpg

ribs.... dont ask me how they finished 4th!!!
2011-10-08_14-48-23_310.jpg

chicken
2011-10-08_14-21-43_674.jpg

Congrats on your 4th place ribs Stuart. We didn't do as well. We wound up in the middle of the pack on both entries. I knew my ribs were not good, but I was surprised about my chicken results. I've yet to figure out what they like as far as chicken for the Backyard contests. I saw a few teams in Cullman cooking their chicken right over an open flame instead of smoking them. Anyway, it was a great venue and definitely plan on going again next year. Are you guys doing anymore contests this year? We are doing the Sucarnochee BBQ & Blues Cook-off in Livingston the first weekend of November and that will be it for the year.

thanks robert... we dont have a clue either what people are looking for in the backyard division in either chicken or ribs... we seem to do good one week in one and good the next time in another... i guess thats the fun in it huh?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! i would like to cook again this year but dont think its gonna happen, i emailed the guy in livingston and he said they had 7 teams signed up right now... kinda far for me to drive...

Understand about the drive Stuart. This will be the farthest we've ever been for a contest, so we'll see how it goes. Maybe we'll see in February at the GRC BBQ Festival in Gurley.

yea, we dont cook on the bottom racks during competition, to inconsistent and results are not as good... so we cook 9 racks, 3 on each 22 and roughly 30-40 thighs on the 18's.. then crisp the skip on the bubba keg... plus we like to show out!!!!

Back