Apricot Brandy (or Rum or Jack) Pound Cake (aka Keri's KickA$$ Cake)

Keri C

TVWBB Wizard
Apricot Brandy (or Rum or Jack) Pound Cake (aka Keri's KickA$$ Cake)

1 (18.25 ounce) package yellow cake mix
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup apricot brandy (or other desired flavor)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon orange extract
1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1 (3.5 ounce) package instant vanilla pudding mix
4 eggs
--Glaze
1/4 lb. butter (1 stick)
1/4 cup water
1 cup sugar
1/4 to 1/2 cup apricot brandy (or other brandy, as used in cake)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and lightly flour a bundt pan.

In a large bowl, beat the cake mix, pudding, and eggs until smooth. Mix brandy and flavorings in sour cream, and add to egg mixture. Beat at least 2 minutes with an electric mixer on medium speed. Pour batter into prepared bundt pan. Bake for 50 to 55 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool the cake in pan on wire rack for 20 minutes. Remove from pan, and continue cooling on wire rack.

Glaze: Melt butter in saucepan. Stir in water and sugar. Boil 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, let it cool a few minutes, and stir in the booze. Prick the top of the cake all over with a fine-tined fork. Spoon and brush glaze evenly over top and sides of the cake, and allow the cake to absorb the glaze. Repeat until all glaze is used up. Let cake rest a while (no need to foil it), and sift a light dusting of powdered sugar over the top of the cake.

Sub other flavored brandy, Jack or 80-proof rum for the apricot brandy, if you wish. Never tried it with scotch - waste of good scotch, probably. I used to use 1/2 cup booze in the glaze, but found that some folks with a low tolerance were getting a bit of a buzz from it when they didn't expect it. Upon having a large slice of the rum version one Christmas, my husband's absolutely precious and extremely lady-like stepmother asked us to "please pour her another slice of that cake".

Merry (hic) early Christmas, all! Santa says he likes this as his snack along with a cup of decaf, by the way.

Keri C, smokin' on Tulsa Time

Keri, If I try this I want Mom to get a buzz! and me and the bride. how much booze is too much booze? Rum, you say?

Back