What's the difference between a Genesis Silver B platinum and regular?

ariel b

TVWBB Super Fan
I'm getting ready to purchase a Genesis Silver B but a friend of mine from these boards mentioned something about a "platinum" one. Does anyone know what' the difference between the two?

Thanks

weber.com has good information. But here is a summary:

There are three "trim" levels: Silver, Gold and Platinum. And for each, there's a B and C model - C has a side burner, B does not. (There's also a Silver A - the only "A" model - which is a 2-burner grill. All the others are 3 burner.) Also, the Silver B has a "narrow" cart... the Silver C and all the Gold's and Platinum's have a wider cart. Look at weber.com and you'll see what I mean.

For the "base" grills as listed on weber.com:
- Silver models have a black (or colored?) hood, porcelain-coated steel grates and flavor bars.
- Gold models have a stainless hood, grates and flavor bars, and add a swing-up shelf on the right side.
- Platinum's also have an all-stainless frame and stainless inserts in the shelf surfaces.

And to confuse things further, exactly what you get can vary depending on where you buy. Home Depot includes the porcelain coated cast-iron grates, and there's also a "specialty retailer" setup which includes solid stainless grates and a few other upgrades.

It's confusing.

The first pic is of a previous year model and the second is the current year model when the doors to the cart had been added, I believe.

Paul

Sorry, I think I posted the wrong pictures. I fixed the link's with the appropriate one's now.

I think the second picture is a "select retailer" Silver A or B. (can't tell whether it's got 2 or 3 burners.) Another of the "select retailer" upgrades is the addition of a swing-up table on the right side. (edited to add: As Jason notes below, it's a silver B - for some reason, the "select" version of the Silver A doesn't add the right side swing-up table... although it does have the solid stainless grates and stainless flavor bars.) All of the current models have the enclosed cart.

As to your question about where to buy - for me it comes down to price. Personally I don't think the Platinum line offers anything of value. If you're willing to pay for more than just the base Silver model, then either the Gold or the "select retailer" Silver are comparable. Or, there's HD's version which is the base model with the PCI grates.

I'd be on the lookout for model year closeouts in the weeks ahead. I think store managers are going to be so confused with all the shuffling of names and model numbers that's coming up, that some very good deals might be found. You could buy a base grill on the cheap, and buy the stainless or PCI replacement parts later, when the time comes.

I've found the "select retail" catalog at a local bbq store, and at an Ace Hardware. But I didn't check out their grills to see if they had the specialty upgrades or not.

I'm gonna cruise down to Home Depot today and see what they have. I've got a mom and pop store that is going to give me about 175.00 in credit or so for some door's I'm returning for the island we're building because I bought too many. They seem the type to haggle a little with price so hopefully they can help me out here
icon_smile.gif
I'm hoping to have this thing in the next few days.

the pic you posted with one fold up shelf is a box store silver B, the other with 2 fold up shelves is a mom and pop shop (or specialty retailer) Silver B.

as for the platinum. the only difference between the platinum and the gold c is that the frame is stainless steel with a 25 year warranty.

mom and pop shops are much more likely to haggle over prices than a box store...see if you can get a cover thrown in or at least discounted - especially if you are getting a stainless steel hood bbq model.

I just called this store nearby and they said they wanted $699.99 delivered and assembled for a Genesis Silver B. I thought that was kind of weird since HD sell's this right now for $349.99.

something's not right.

there's no way an independant would be selling the exact same item for double what a nearby box store sells for.

anytime we sell the exact same bbq as a nearby box store does, we price match.

either their model is different or someone is making an error.

Originally posted by Jason L:
the only difference between the platinum and the gold c is that the frame is stainless steel
Other differences are accent-colored hood end caps, control knobs, igniter button, wheel inserts, control panel, side and rear panels. Work surfaces have stainless steel inserts.

All are cosmetic items, nothing I'd pay extra to have.

Back