Smokey Chili

Art B

TVWBB Super Fan
This is in response to the thread in BBQ about smokey chili.

Best Chili I've Ever Made

* The better part of a smoked brisket, chopped. I used an 8lb packer, and had a couple of sandwiches before using the rest. I suppose one could use an oven- or crock pot-cooked brisket, and just add some liquid smoke to the pot, but it's probably better to do the real thing. I've also done this using a pork butt. Also, see below for the X-factor.
* One can crushed tomatoes (no flavor added).
* Two cans black beans. (I don't want to hear any comments about the beans. I know some of you don't like them in your chili. If so, don't use this recipe.)
* One can dark red pinto beans. (See above.)
* A little over half a can to a can of cheap beer (Schaeffer, in my case).
* One onion, chopped.
* One green pepper, chopped.
* Two jalapeños, sliced thin. I left the seeds in.
* One chipotle pepper from a can, sliced, as well as 2 Tablespoons of the juice. This goes a long way, heat-wise, so be circumspect. Or not, if you prefer.
* A bunch of garlic, sliced thin (4-6 cloves, I think).
* A little less than a Tablespoon of Oregano.
* A little more than a Tablespoon of Cumin.
* One bay leaf.
* Salt and pepper.

I softened the onion and garlic in a little bacon grease, then added the rest. I cooked it until it seemed done.

The X-factor here is the rub I used on the brisket when I smoked it. I don't know how much flavor it added. I suppose that a little bit could be added to a non-smoked brisket. In case you're curious, it is a modified BRITU rub (turbinado instead of regular and brown sugar, kosher salt instead of regular):

Modified Best Ribs In The Universe Rub - 1/4 Batch

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3/8 cup sugar in the raw (turbinado sugar)
1/4 cup kosher salt
4 teaspoons chili powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon Accent (MSG)
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
1 teaspoon granulated garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder

Back